Chapter 69 Down this Road

Lucius, still standing on the main floor on the far side of the chamber, felt a strange pulse of magic move through the room as Potter joined him on the floor. A shiver of anticipation went through him, and he wondered if anyone else had felt the sensation - certainly every eye in the room was riveted on the slender, green-eyed young man before them. Instead of a traditional robe he was wearing a dark red surcoat, the color proclaiming his Gryffindor heritage, and despite the seriousness of the situation Lucius could not help the way his eyes roamed over the young man's slender form. It was not the male shape that so completely captivated him but rather the power he could feel contained inside his form. How had Severus Snape of all people come to be in possession of such a creature - Lucius felt the envy stir inside him once again.

Potter stared momentarily down at the floor, his head cocked to one side as if listening to something in the stillness. And then he raised his head and swept his gaze over the room, pausing on Diana Brand. "Lady Brand, do you want this position?" he asked quietly, surprising everyone. They had expected him to merely confirm or deny the seats.

Diana glanced briefly over at her husband who was grinning in amusement at the turn of events. The almost fanatical devotion of the Winter Lands to young Potter had become public knowledge over the last several months. "I have it on good authority that the Winter Lands would be willing to renegotiate several trade agreements if I hold this seat," Diana informed him.

Potter nodded his head as if he had guessed her response. "Then the seat is yours," he said simply.

Marlot leaped to his feet in outrage, but before he could utter a single word, Potter turned and pinned him with his gaze. From his position Lucius could see that there was no anger in Potter's face, but rather a quiet curiosity. Marlot stared at the young man in shock, seemingly stunned to silence despite the fact that no spell was uttered. A moment later he sank back down into his seat without protest. At this Lucius felt a shiver of fear run down his spine - this was unexpected.

Potter turned then toward Merik Volpine - at eighty years old, the silver-haired man was believed to be the oldest werewolf currently alive, and had made no secret of his condition. Despite his disease he was remarkably hale looking.

"It's good to see you again, sir," Potter remarked and Lucius frowned at the exchange. Volpine was a recluse - as far as he knew Potter would have had no opportunity to have met the man. A sudden thought occurred to him, and he frowned, reevaluated the old man sitting before them. He'd seen the brief duel the man had engaged in yesterday - his opponent had been a rather vicious, former Auror who had made a career of hunting down various Dark Creatures. Volpine had taken him out with a single curse. Was it possible that Volpine had been one of the numerous Wizards to have been Called? If that were the case Lucius was glad he had not thought to challenge him.

"You as well," Volpine returned Potter's greeting with a wolfish grin.

"It is your intention that Remus Lupin hold this seat?" Potter asked.

"It is," Volpine nodded in agreement.

At that Potter turned toward a rather nervous looking Remus Lupin. Lucius doubted he was the only one who saw the way Lupin's left hand twitched as if he was having difficulty preventing himself from reaching out and taking hold of the hand of Sirius Black beside him.

"It wasn't so long ago, Remus, that you were in this chamber defending your right to exist," Potter stated, and at his words several people shifted uncomfortably at the reminder. Indeed Lucius did not think the reminder bode well for him at all. "Indeed for the rights of all Werewolves to exist. I think you more than anyone will agree that such a law must be changed." His words sparked a murmur of dissent which spread through the room, but Lucius noticed the approving grin on Dumbledore's face.