Chapter 39 - Family Honor

Severus left his quarters and strode swiftly down the torch lit hall, but as he passed the dark corridor that led to the Slytherin dormitory, Severus realized that his evening was yet again going to take a turn for the worse. Lucius Malfoy was waiting for him, a cold smile on his pale face, his silver-headed cane gripped tightly in one gloved hand.

"Lucius," Severus sighed. "What are you still doing here?"

"My goodness, Severus," Lucius purred. "Is that any way to greet an old friend?"

"I'm in no mood for pointless pleasantries tonight, Lucius," Severus snapped.

Lucius just laughed softly. "Really, Severus, I would have thought that marriage to the lovely Mr. Potter would have improved your mood. I see it has not. Perhaps Mr. Potter is not so extraordinary as we have all been led to believe."

"Spare me the innuendos!" Severus growled. "Your son has said more than enough on the subject already."

Lucius just shrugged and sighed rather dramatically. "Yes, Draco can be a bit crude on occasion. He gets it from Narcissa's side of the family, I'm afraid. But I hardly came here to exchange quips about your marriage, Severus. I have business to discuss with you."

"I'm not interest in any business you might wish to discuss," Severus replied, eyes narrowing. "I think my loyalties have been adequately declared."

"Your loyalties," Lucius mused. "Yes, I suppose - but I do wonder precisely who it is you have sided with, Severus. Dumbledore or Potter?"

"You think there is a difference?"

Lucius just shrugged, tapping his cane against his thigh thoughtfully. "Dumbledore comes with an ideology and an agenda. Potter on the other hand. . ." He smiled suddenly. "That I can almost understand. I had not realized how attractive the boy had become. I can hardly blame you for jumping at such an opportunity."

Severus felt a cold anger seep into his veins at Lucius' words. The blond man looked amused and intrigued - something Severus did not like at all. "I find it very hard to believe you would share such an interest?"

Lucius laughed at that. "Oh, believe me, Severus, I am not blind. My tastes have always run toward women - but Mr. Potter has an aura of power about him that I have not seen since. . ."

"Since the Dark Lord?" Severus finished for him, glaring coldly at the man. If he thought to compare Harry to Voldemort he was blind indeed.

"Yes," Lucius agreed. "Since then."

"What's wrong, Lucius?" Severus mocked. "Has the bloom gone off the rose?"

Something strange passed over Lucius' features then, a shadow of unease Severus had never seen in the man. "The Dark Lord has gone mad, Severus."

"He was always mad."

"Not like this," Lucius shook his head. "This is something different, something . . .unspeakable."

Severus stared incredulously at the man. "Are you asking for our protection, Lucius? You wish to join Dumbledore-"

"No!" Lucius snarled, glaring furiously at him. "Join Dumbledore and his pathetic band of Muggle Lovers? He would have us crawling on our knees and kissing the feet of Muggles before this all over!"

"How is that any different from-" Severus began only to be cut off by Lucius.

"Do not start with me, Severus! This is not about me or the Dark Lord. This is about Draco."

"Draco?" Severus stared at the man in surprise. What was he up to now?

"I do not need anyone's protection. I will take whatever steps I must to protect myself. But I do not want my son involved in this madness either. He's already getting strange ideas in his head."