Chapter 47 - Cedo

When Severus walked into the Infirmary along side Albus and Minerva, he saw Charlie Weasley settling the still unconscious Draco Malfoy onto one of the waiting beds. As they watched, the red-haired man turned Draco partially over and checked the back of his neck to see if the chain holding the Dragon gold had cut into his flesh when he'd tried frantically to pull it off. While the skin was red, it was unbroken. Charlie ran a careful finger under the chain as if to sooth the flesh.

That action more than anything settled Severus' unease. While Draco was not his favorite person in the world - the boy was a spoiled arrogant brat who would likely go the way of his father - he was still a student, and one of his Snakes. Severus had always felt the need to look after his Slytherins since so many other teachers tended to ignore them in favor of the other houses. He would not stand by and allow someone to abuse one of his charges.

"That is what we think it is?" Albus asked Charlie, pointing to the gleaming piece of red Dragon gold around Draco's neck.

"Yes," Charlie said simply, seeming quite pleased with himself.

"You coerced a student into accepting-" McGonagall began in outrage; Charlie, while not a student any longer, was still one of her Gryffindors.

But Charlie cut her off, interrupting her words before she could finish the accusation. "You can't coerce someone into accepting Dragon gold," he informed her. "The magic doesn't work if it's not consensual."

"Impossible," Severus shook his head. "Draco is a Slytherin, and a Malfoy. He knows more about Dark Magic than most people ever learn. He knows how powerful Blood Magic is. There is no way he would ever willingly exchange blood with another Wizard."

"Actually," Charlie grinned at him. "The ritual specifically calls for an exchange of 'life fluid'. Everyone just assumes it has to be blood."

"Well, what else could it possibly refer to?" Minerva exclaimed. "Blood is the most. . ." She stuttered to a stop as if something else had just occurred to her, her cheeks turning rosy with embarrassment.

Severus stared at the young man in shock. Charlie looked far too smug for his words to be taken any other way. "You didn't?" he asked.

Charlie just grinned. "I assure you, it was completely consensual."

Severus moved over to a chair and sank down into it. "His father is going to kill you."

"For the love of Merlin, Mr. Weasley!" Minerva exclaimed in outrage. "What on earth would possess you to do something like this!" When she received no answer from the smug young man she turned toward Dumbledore. "Albus! Certainly you don't condone this?"

"I'm afraid it's rather out of my hands, Minerva," Dumbledore replied, though he looked rather amused. "What's done is done, and only Charlie can undo it. And I rather think that the blame for this can be placed ultimately at the feet of Lucius Malfoy, unless I miss my guess."

"You were in the room when Lupin went feral," Severus stated, looking at Charlie with understanding in his eyes. He hadn't been aware of the fact the Weasley boy had any feelings for Draco, but after his own experience he knew how even the slightest bit of lust could be amplified out of control.

Charlie just shrugged. "Neither Remus nor Sirius deserved what was happening to them. And neither did Draco. Now all three of them are safe."

"Safe?" Minerva protested. "You've stripped the boy of his humanity! How does that make him safe?"

"I've removed him from the care of Lucius Malfoy," Charlie replied. "His father has no control over him now. I won't let that man use him ever again! He deserves to be free, free to become the person he is meant to be."