Chapter 42 - Lemon Drops

Harry didn't have long to wait before both Dumbledore and Severus came rushing into the room where Remus was being kept. While Dumbledore looked relatively calm, Severus did not, his dark eyes glaring daggers at both Remus and Harry. He strode forward, black robes billowing about him, and grabbed Harry's arm as if intent on pulling him bodily from the room. "Come away from there at once!" he shouted, yanking Harry out of his chair.

His words and actions set Remus off again and the man began struggling violently against the bonds holding him down on the bed, his eyes burning with rage as he glared at Severus. "Let him go!" he snarled.

Immediately Severus released Harry's arm, but only so he could draw his wand from his sleeve and point it at the bound werewolf. Harry, though stunned by the situation, leaped in front of Severus' wand, arms held out to stop him from attacking Remus. Behind him, Remus howled in rage, sending chills down Harry's spine.

Once again seeing Harry at the end of his wand, Severus cried out wordlessly in protest, looking both furious and horrified. "You stupid boy!" he shouted and grabbed Harry again.

Harry found himself suddenly spun around, off center and then pulled violently back against Severus, dragged across the room and away from Remus' bed. His back was pressed against Severus' chest, the man's arms wrapped possessively around his body. Harry struggled in desperation when he saw Dumbledore raise his own wand and hit Remus with a stunning charm, instantly stilling the werewolf who had actually managed to make the enormous bed rock on its frame.

Silence settled over the room save for the harsh breathing of both Severus and Harry. Harry felt as if he'd just been in a fight, and Severus was making no effort to release him. The man's arms tightened around him, muscles flexing into unbreakable bonds, the heat of his body making Harry tremble with some unnamed emotion. His heart was racing, and he tried to squirm away, only to find that any movement made Severus hold him tighter.

Dumbledore turned a very stern gaze on both of them. "Severus, release Harry immediately."

Harry found himself holding his breath as he stared into Dumbledore's stern blue eyes, trying to read some explanation for the events that had just taken place. Severus' arms did not loosen; he could feel the man's breath hot against the back of his neck.

"Severus, he is in no danger," Dumbledore insisted. "Calm yourself and let him go. You are frightening him."

Harry heard Severus breath catch in his throat at that, and slowly the arms around him loosened and then dropped away. Harry immediately moved away, taking a hesitant step toward Remus. Dumbledore's firm hand upon his shoulder stopped him.

"Remus is fine, Harry," Dumbledore assured him. "I merely stunned him. We need to leave this room. Our presence here is only aggravating his situation. How did you get through the wards on the door?"

Harry looked up startled. "I didn't notice any wards on the door. Sir, what is wrong with him? What's going on?"

Dumbledore frowned and glanced back at the opened door. Madam Pomfrey was standing just outside the heavy wooden frame. With a curious gleam in his eyes, he pointed his wand at the door and muttered a quiet spell. The doorframe flared brightly revealing dark red warding sigils on the frame that should have prevented Harry from opening the door in the first place.

The old man glanced curiously down at Harry, a rare smirk on his face. "You are full of surprises, my boy," he said with amusement. "But let us retire to Madam Pomfrey's office so that we can discuss this away from Remus. He will throw off that stunning charm soon."

Baffled, Harry allowed Dumbledore to lead him out of the room, only pausing to glance over his shoulder at Remus. But Severus stepped in his way, blocking his line of sight, and he found the eyes of the Potion Master glaring down at him. At least they were their normal color once again, though Harry shivered just the same. What on earth was wrong with everyone?