7: Missing Them

Requested by: Izu_Afton1483
Ship: Platonic!Arid Duo (Joel + Pix) + Platonic!Joel + Sausage
Word Count: 1855

joel angst + season 1 and 2 joel are the same person bc lore and magic and cool

He couldn't really remember who his parents were. It didn't bother him, he didn't need to know who they were beyond the history books. Joel was always a man of chaos.

But above that was loyalty.

Loyalty to his allies. To his wife. And along with that, to a simple man named Pixlriffs.

If he were to choose someone out of all the rulers to live with, besides his wife, he would've chosen Pix. It was just because of how much he had done for Joel. He was there when his parents weren't.

What Joel does remember was the first time he arrived in the desert. The sun blazed in his face as he looked for Pix, crowds swarmed the boy. He was 9. Nine years of age—ripe enough for a king he'd say. His guards had thrown him to the wolves, men and women alike asked him a million questions one after another.

He was pushed around, grabbed, slapped even. That was until the crowd suddenly dispersed. To make way for their ruler. The copper king of the desert. Joel remembers the first thing he had said to him; "You're the king of Mezalia." It was the first time he had heard it like that. It gave him a feeling of power.

Then he had spent his days with Pix. It was fun, visiting the man's farms and technological stuff. His 'parents' had left him a generally poorer empire. The amount of machinery Pixl had at his disposal was astounding to him. "Flowers? You have a greenhouse?" Plants were uncommon not only in the mesa, but in the desert as well.

Joel wasn't familiar with them, he didn't understand how they worked. "Lady Katherine of House Blossom gifted me some plants, I couldn't reject the offer." Pix laughed as he toured the building. It had skylights but there were currently sheets covering the windows, Joel didn't know why but didn't question.

Pix was there to watch him grow up, tutor him about the ups and downs of being a ruler. He was an amazing teacher. Joel didn't remember much from his mortal life, but he did remember going to sleep happy and content with himself. He would have to give props to Pix for that.

One day he asked the question, "Do you get upset when someone dies, Pix?" He was 11 now, looking up at the copper king. Looking for answers as Pixlriffs let out a lengthy sigh. "I can't say I don't get upset, but it doesn't hurt as much as it used to." Joel nodded slowly, looking to the ground instead now. "Why're you asking, bud? You won't have to worry much about that."

"I was curious..." He mumbled before his name was called, a knight on horseback. The man quickly got off the noble stallion, handing Joel a letter. It was closed with a wax print, "The Ocean Queen has requested you read this immediately, your highness." Joel thanked the kneeling man before going to rip the letter open.

The envelope drifted slowly down to meet the tile floors of Pixlriff's arena.

Dearest Smallishbeans,

It has come to my attention that you are not present in your empire, I must inform you of the malicious acts done by your people while you are away. I am afraid I can not watch no longer as they pollute the waters around your shores.

My citizens suffer grave danger when venturing out onto land because of the pollution. They have reported to become very sick because of your people. I formally request you, as my fiancé, to stop this act and clean up the mess.