3.

| Chapter Three |

After bidding my parents and the Thorntons goodbye, Ward and Rose decided to excuse themselves to their room as well, leaving the four of us in the huge living room.

"I kind of want to go to the beach, you guys wanna go to the beach?" Sarah asked, interrupting mine and Topper's conversation about Arizona.

I looked around and we all collectively nodded, "Yeah, let me change first." Rafe said while un-slicking his hair so it would hang in front of his face.

Sarah followed him up the stairs and left me and Topper alone, grins plastered across our lips as we side-glanced at each other.

"You're acting suspicious, I don't like suspicious Topper." I furrowed my eyebrows as my grin never ceased from my lips.

He shrugged and looked around nonchalantly, "It's nothing." He scratched his neck before fiddling with his fingers.

I narrowed my eyes as I stared at him, "It's not nothing, what is it?" I chuckled, urging him on as I pushed his shoulder.

He looked up and smirked, "I promise, it's nothing. I'm glad we were all able to act like we did before you left and I hope this summer will be the best yet." He sighed, but I knew it wasn't all that was on his mind.

I let out a low hum and nodded, "I know that's not all you wanted to say, but I'll let it slide. I'm glad you missed me, and I'm glad you don't have a new best friend you tell everything to." I grinned and wrapped my arms around his neck, laying my head on his shoulder.

He let out a low laugh as he laid his head on mine. "I would never do that to you, even if you never came back."

After a few short minutes, the two Cameron siblings trailed down the stairs and entered the living room. "C'mon guys, let's go." Sarah ushered the two of us up, and we obeyed as we walked out of the door and ended up deciding to leave in Rafe's truck.

"Sarah, you can have the front, I want to sit in the back with Lane." Topper called out as she rolled her eyes, not wanting to sit up front.

I grinned and silently glanced toward Rafe, finding a small smile on his lips at the interaction.

I couldn't say I was surprised when I heard The Weeknd blaring through the truck as we made our way to the beach, headlights and traffic lights shining in our vision as Rafe drove along the highway.

Me and Topper sang along as the wind blew through the windows, my eyes finding the dark beach after a few minutes.

After shutting the door closed, I ran out into the sand and enjoyed the feeling of being on a beach again. "Just like old times." I breathed out and looked around, the moonlight reflecting off of the waves.

"I can tell you're enjoying yourself." Rafe said from behind me. I turned and saw the smirk on his face, making me roll my eyes and nod.

"I haven't been to the beach in years, you've got to understand where I'm coming from." I pursed my lips and furrowed my eyebrows as a breeze swept over the beach.

Sarah and Topper busied themselves as they sat on a blanket Sarah brought and took out a few snacks while joking around about something.