13.

| Chapter Thirteen |

Having been cleaning the house the whole morning until my parents arrived home, I hurriedly got out of the shower and got dressed for tonight. It was my favorite holiday, Fourth of July, where it was the best in the Outer Banks. Fireworks are my favorite, of course, whose isn't?

Sarah and I decided to mitch-match our bikini's so I chose the red top and blue bottoms and she chose the blue top and red bottoms. I slipped on my blue bottoms before sliding a pair of jean shorts over them with my pair of white Converse for shoes.

Grabbing a few accessories, I trailed downstairs to find my parents gathering food dishes to bring to the Camerons. Apparently, the Thorntons were invited too so all three Mothers decided on making a few different things for dinner.

"Is there anything I can help with?" I made my presence known as I hugged my dad and kissed his cheek.

"You look mighty festive and yes, you can take these to the car." My Mother smiled and accepted the hug I gave her.

My dad sent me a glance and smirked, "I think you look cool. I knew you would be excited for Fourth of July here again." He sent me a wink and helped me take the dishes out to their car.

"I sure am and I can't wait for tonight too." I sent him a nod of appreciation as we walked back inside.

"That's all, Lane, so if you want to go ahead and leave, we'll be right behind." My Mother said as she slipped her arms inside of her beige cardigan over her blue blouse.

I smiled and bid them goodbye before I jumped into my Jeep, sliding my sunglasses over my eyes and driving to the Camerons. I thought about the fun that would occur tonight at the beach with everyone supposedly being there to watch fireworks. 

Arriving at the Cameron residence, I got out and noticed Topper's Jeep already there and I smiled, grabbed my bag, and walked inside, instantly smelling various foods.

"Laney!" Sarah's squeal invaded my ears and I turned and caught her in my arms as she hugged me tightly.

"Sarah!" I grinned and hugged her back, feeling her wet skin against mine. "Have you been in the pool?" I questioned as a laugh bubbled in my chest.

"Yes! Me and Wheezie decided to tan and go swimming before everyone got here. Ah! Look at us in our bathing suits." She smiled and held me by my shoulders while she examined both of our bikini tops.

"Don't you two look adorable." Ward smiled and enveloped me in a hug with a kiss on my forehead. "My two grown girls. No one warns a dad about these things!" He fake cried and Sarah pushed him away with a laugh.

I chuckled and threw my arm around her shoulders, "How've you been? Everything been alright here?" I asked as we trailed into the kitchen where Rose was making a few desserts.

She sent me a smile and I hugged her while still talking with Sarah. "I'm fantastic, ecstatic for today, though! And yes, everything's good." She sent me a nod but was interrupted by her phone ringing.

She excused herself but I waved her off and trailed up the stairs, hoping to find Rafe or Topper. Finding neither one, I went back downstairs and outside, spotting Topper on the dock.

"Topper!" I sent him a cheesy smile and wrapped my arms around his neck, making him lose his breath by the impact of my hug.

"Lane! I've been wondering when you would get here!" He let out a sigh and hugged me back tightly.