18.

| Chapter Eighteen |

The night was slowly progressing into drunken adults and pure laughter around the Country Club. People were dancing while others sat at the bar, flirting and talking.

Rafe had been by my side the whole night, claiming that he didn't want to be around anyone else. I didn't mind, especially since I was able to have someone with me while I drank.

The air around us was relaxed and I could tell he was resisting the urge to make a move on me as I had caught his eyes trailing to my lips every so often. I was, too, fighting the urge, seeing him so relaxed and carefree.

I often found Cassian staring at me across the room while Gemma continued to stay by his side. I knew he wanted to talk to me but it'd just end up bad for both Rafe and Cassian.

When Rafe had spotted them together, I was shocked to see that he didn't care. He'd told me that it wasn't his business and that he just wanted to be with me.

We were currently sitting at the bar, making fun of a few couples that were drunkenly walking about while Topper and Sarah danced to the slow rhythm of the song playing.

"She looks like she's ready to throw up everywhere." I pointed out, watching a woman hold her fist over her mouth to hold back the bile rising in her throat.

He smiled at the sight, turning to the bartender and asking for a refill of his drink. He reached for my hand afterward, playing with the ring he'd gotten me. "Do you like it?"

I glanced down and nodded, "Of course, I do. Thank you, it's very pretty."

"I picked it out when Topper and I went to the mainland a few weeks back." He shrugged, twisting it around my finger.

I watched with a small grin as he switched the placement and secured it around my ring finger, holding my hand up after. "Wouldn't this be a nice sight?"

I chuckled, pretending to fan my face and act shocked. "Are you asking me to marry you, Mr. Cameron?" I teased, not catching how Topper walked up to us and stood there, completely shocked.

"Oh my! You guys, I'm going to tear up!! Rafe, you didn't tell me." His voice made my head turn and widen my eyes, not realizing he had been there.

"No, Topper. We're not getting married, it was a joke." I smirked, watching him frown before he rolled his eyes, wiping the tear that had fallen.

Rafe sent me an unreadable look but I ignored it, nodding for him to acknowledge the bartender who had slid his drink over.

"Don't play with my emotions like that." Topper huffed, sitting on the stool next to me.

"So, when were you going to tell us that you and Sarah became a thing?" I questioned, scooting closer to Rafe so that he could pull me into his side.

Topper shrugged, holding a hand up to the bartender. "I thought it was pretty obvious. After you and I talked about it, Lane, I took her out on a date and asked her to be my girlfriend."

Rafe and I gaped at him, obviously hurt that he hadn't told either one of us. Rafe turned to me with his eyebrows furrowed, "What'd the two of you talk about?"