12.

| Chapter Twelve |

Rafe and Topper sat in different cells opposite of each other with Rafe hunched over the stiff jail bed with his elbows on top of his knees while Topper lay across the bed with his back aching with pain.

Both of them were going to go insane if they spent another day trapped in the white walls while hearing the other criminals shout or keys jingling from officer's belt loops.

Every time they heard the jingling, hope sprung in their minds as if Ward had come to get them out, but it never happened.

So hearing the jingling now, they thought nothing of it and continued to sit there in silence. But when an officer stood before the doors of their cells, they both sprung up and questioned it.

"Charges were dropped a few minutes ago, you both are free to go." The two officers said and Topper caught Rafe's eyes.

Lane and Cassian stood there in the lobby with Cassian off to the side and once she saw the two guys, she grinned and walked up to them.

"Hey, sweetheart, you two okay? Are you hurt?" I asked innocently and held Topper's face in my hands before looking at Rafe and scanning him over.

Their jaws dropped once they realized I had gotten them out but all I did was smile and push them with my hands against their backs, "Let's get going, shall we?" I hummed and bid goodbye to the officers.

Their faces turned to confusion once they saw Cassian following behind me but they didn't say anything and followed me outside.

"How did you get us out?" Topper asked as they both slid into the back of Cassian's car while Reese got in the passenger side.

I opened the door to sit beside Topper who was in the middle seat while Rafe sat behind Cassian's seat. Cassian drove off as I buckled myself in with a content smile on my face, "Ask questions later guys." I instructed and he closed his mouth while Rafe stared daggers into Reese from behind.

The drive was once again silent as Cassian drove to the bonfire spot and once he parked, Reese got out and so did I along with the two guys.

I held a finger to Cas indicating I'd come over to talk to him in a minute and tossed my keys to Rafe, "Start the jeep for me, please?" He nodded and left with Topper to go and find my jeep.

I stood in front of Reese with a simple smile on my lips and my head tilted, "I'd advise you to not go any further with this if I were you. Now that they're out, it'll be ten times worse coming from the four of us and his father." I began, pushing my hands into my pockets.

"I would say thank you but I don't think this calls for a thank you when you shouldn't have done it in the first place. Are we done here? Or is there something you want to say before I leave out of here?" I questioned.

"Can you tell her I'm sorry when you see her, I didn't want it to come to this but it did in the end. I promise to keep my distance from them if they can too, like forgetting all of this." He shrugged in hope.

"They will if you swear you will too. I hope this never happens again, Reese. Always remember you'll have a target on your back if you step out of line again. That's not a threat, it's a promise." I raised my eyebrows and watched him nod before walking to his vehicle since there was nobody here this late at night.