41

•Chapter Forty-One•

•Lane•
Two years later...

The cool fresh breeze blew through my hair as I stood staring at the beautiful orange and pink sunset. The sand beneath my feet was wiped off as I stepped into my house, noticing how clean it was, probably Rafe or Sarah.

I bent over and picked up a monster truck from Dean's collection, walking upstairs with it and throwing it into his shared playroom.

Sarah and Topper were out, celebrating their first anniversary of being married.

My feet led me to Dean's room, seeing his fuzzy blonde hair peeking out of the fort he and Rafe had made earlier.

He was a rambunctious and caring two-year-old who loved both me and Rafe with his whole heart.

I bent down on my knees and silently moved the cover that hid his sleeping figure. I smiled down at him and carefully picked him up before gently placing him in his bed.

I brushed his light curls out of his face and rubbed my thumb against his cheek before eventually cleaning up his room, purposely leaving the fort up so he could play in it tomorrow.

I walked down the long hallway and set my eyes on the closed door that occupied mine and Rafe's master bedroom.

When I pushed the door open, I grinned at the sound of the shower running. I gazed at the clean bedroom that surely Rafe had cleaned before making my way to the other side of the room.

I gently opened the door and scanned the bathroom before my eyes landed on my husband who was holding our sixth-month-old daughter, River Sage Cameron.

My smile widened as I heard him whispering to her as she lay against his naked chest. His hair was wet from the water as he allowed a minimal amount of water to get on her sleepy figure.

I stepped inside the huge bathroom and made my presence known, "How long have you two been in here?"

He softly turned his body and smiled, "I'm almost done, I just have to wash out the conditioner in my hair. Is Dean asleep?" He asked.

I grabbed the baby towel from the counter and cautiously stepped up to the stone wall to collect our daughter. I felt a few drops of water from Rafe's arm but didn't mind as I wrapped the towel around River's body.

"Yeah, he was sleeping in the fort when I found him" I giggled, watching a grin appear on his face.

"Did you have fun down at the beach? Find any shells?" He asked as he leaned his head back into the water to dispose of the conditioner as I swayed River in my arms while watching him.

"I did, I found a really beautiful one that is half pink and half orange. I'll have to show you before I put it in mine and Topper's collection" I announced.

My best friend had come up with a great idea of collecting shells together like we'd done in the last years and once we found a hefty amount, we'd decorate the free wall in the living room with them.

I watched Rafe wipe at his eyes before he turned the water off and collected his towel, wrapping it around his waist before leaning in to plant a chaste kiss on my lips.

The ends of his wet hair dripped with water onto my cheek, making the two of us smile into the kiss.

"I love you, y'know that" He breathed out, kissing me again. "I know, that's why you married me and made me a mother" I smirked, running my hand up his chest and back down again, something that turned him on.