8.

| Chapter Eight |

After spending a few days with the Cameron siblings and Topper, I decided to go back home even though my parents weren't back yet. Kie had texted me on Wednesday and we met up together to spend some time before I eventually went back home and spent some time by myself.

It was late in the evening when I went outside to look at the pink and orange sunset that had lit up the sky when I heard giggles and barking coming from the other side of the white fence beside my house. I looked over and between the cracks, I could see a man and a little girl playing together in their backyard with a puppy.

I smiled at the puppy's barks and walked further down the sand toward the lake behind my house but ended up catching the attention of the puppy as it ran between the fence cracks and straight after me.

I gasped when it ran into my leg and looked up at the owners, widening my eyes when I saw the familiar man from a few nights ago. "Cassian?" I asked out loud as he trailed toward me with a little girl right beside him.

The little girl caught the puppy in her hands and giggled when it licked her face. Cassian grinned at realizing it was me and chuckled when the little girl reached her arms up toward him.

"Miss Miller, how lovely it is to see you again. I apologize for my niece's puppy running into your yard, I'll make sure to not let it happen again." He smiled apologetically, taking the little girl into his arms while she held the puppy.

I shook my head and laughed lightly, "It's not a problem, really. I didn't know you lived here, though." I pointed to the house next to mine, which was a little smaller.

He let out a breathy laugh and adjusted the little girl in his arms. "I don't, this is my brother's house, I live a few streets from here, though, where the mansions are. No offense, as this is a beautiful home you have." He squinted his eyes and trailed his stare up my parent's house.

"Thank you, it's my parents. We moved here about a week and a half ago from Arizona. Although we used to live here a few years ago before we moved." I shrugged, folding my arms over my chest.

Something seemed to click inside of his mind and he let out an ohh. "You're the family my brother was talking about just moving in. Well, I hope you like it here, it's a nice neighborhood, especially for kids." He smiled and poked the little girl's side, making her let out a giggle.

I grinned at the interaction and looked out at the lake before looking back at him. He cleared his throat and smiled, "Well, I guess I'll see you around now that I know you live here. Do you plan on going to the fair tomorrow evening?" He questioned to which I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"I didn't know there was one, but I'm pretty sure I'll be dragged to it by my friends." I laughed, noting I needed to talk to Topper about it soon.

He laughed with me and nodded, "Then I'll see you there, hopefully. Have a nice night, Miss Miller." He tipped his head and waved goodbye before walking back to the fence and closing it behind him.

I looked down at the ground before smiling and gazing up at the sky once more, deciding it was getting late and it was time to get inside.

"Yeah, I'll meet you there, Top. Tell them that I'll be a little late and to just go ahead and have fun without me." I said over the phone, to which he told me to hurry up before ending the call.