{1} How it began

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

(Five years ago)

I pace the room fidgeting with my hands. I didn't know how to do this. I was the last person that should do this. When was I going to need it?

"Ev?" I spin around at the voice and nearly smash my face into their chest. "Hey, you ready?" I looked up at Grayson, who was looking down at me with confusion.

"Do I really have to though?" I cover my face with my hands and walk in the opposite direction. Grayson chuckles and follows me. "We all have to know how to defend ourselves."

Sure like I would win against some man, or woman in any way bigger than me. "But how come Jessica hasn't been taught yet?" He looks at me and smirks. "I and you both know she could kick both of our asses if she pleased." I scoff in agreement and nod my head.

Grayson and Jessica had been together for almost a year and Grayson basically lived with us. I mean he spent most of his time here, in Jessicas room. And to be honest I think we all know what was going on behind the closed door.

"Can we just get this over with so I can go back to studying?" I plead to grab the punching gloves off a metal table. "Nerd much?" Grayson says teasingly.

When I turn around I give him an unamused look before rolling my eyes. Grayson taps my arm as he shakes his head. "Respect your elders Evelyn." I-

I know he did not just say that. We only had a 3-year difference in age. He might already technically be an adult but I'm almost there.

"You're nineteen Grayson. Not sixty." He brushes my remark off and waves a finger in my face. "I'm still older." I sigh in defeat and we start the training.

•••••••••••••••

I lean over, my hands on my knees, as I try to catch my breath. "I c-cant d-do t-this." I look up from where I'm positioned to see a completely unbothered Grayson.

"The reason you need this training is if you ever become-" My body stiffens at the mention of the possibility of being what my father wants.

I jolt up and look at Grayson "Don't." He raises his hands in defense and shakes his head. "I'm sorry I forgot." I sigh and swallow regret.

"It's fine." I don't know why I'm still up as a possibility to take the family business if Grayson being with Jessica was already setting up the merging of both family companies. Therefore terminated my purpose to take over.