{21} People pleaser

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"Wait till Dad knows what the fuck you're doing!" Jessica fumes walking out of the living room. I speed past Grayson and run down the stairs. buttoning up the dress shirt at the same time. I pass Kathelyn but I'm too focused on Jessica even to address her.

"Jess wait!" I reach her in the hallway to the front door and grab her wrist. She immediately snaps it away and turns around to face me. "You are such a selfish brat you know that?" I shake my head and try grabbing her again. Miss again. 

"Do you know how fucked you are? To let me find you half-naked with my ex-boyfriend!" She gets in my face and then Im pulled back. "Jessica get out." Grayson defends. She looks up at him and shakes her head in disbelief. "You're a fucking pervert. My own fucking sister!" She points at me and he holds out a hand in defense. 

"Our relationship isn't your business Jessica." She freezes. Looks at me. At Grayson. "You're together?!" I bite the inside of my cheek and stay quiet. "Doesn't matter but it won't make all this better if you go tell your dad about this. If he hears it from anyone it should be Evelyn." Grayson reasons. 

"Grayson you're messed up. First, you leave, then come back, and not a month and a half later I find you screwing my sister!" Her words make me flinch. "Evelyn, what did I tell you? This piece of shit only wants you for your body." I feel a stinging sensation in the back of my eyes. 

When you've been a people pleaser all your life, hearing someone get onto you hurts. All I've ever felt the need to do is make my family happy. But why? Most of them treat me like shit. Like I'm still the small naive girl. 

"Hey! Don't do that. Don't lie, Im not using Evelyn." Jessica smiles and looks at Grayson. Almost like a realization. "Oh my god! This is exactly why you never wanted to be near me over her. You've been in love with her for the past fucking seven years. You fucking perv!" I see Grayson clench his jaw and say nothing.

"I wouldn't be surprised if you slept with her at that age. You must be all sorts of messed up." She tries walking away. "I would never do that. She was sixteen Jessica. Even past your manipulations, I stayed loyal to you." Jessica laughs. "Bullshit." 

"For the love of god, Jessica all you ever wanted from me was sex!" He fumes. It's like he's finally releasing some pent-up anger. "You messed with my mind at points. Made me believe that's all I was worth. Your pathetic games fucked me up!" She flinches. "The only reason I felt safe with Evelyn was because at least she made me feel like I had personality and was worth anything but just being your toy!" It goes quiet. 

"Jess, Grayson isn't using me," I speak up. Quietly. "I made the first move. All this is my fault." She looks at me. "Doesn't change that you're a shitty sister." Her words make my heart ache. "I would never do this to you. Sleep with your ex-boyfriend-"

"Now that's bullshit, Jessica. You fuck anyone you lay eyes on." Somehow my walls build back up and I've gone cold. Jessica stares at me. She notices it too. My walls had fallen down when Grayson got back, seeing them back up seems to make her realize she won't leave without a fight.

"Don't sit here and pretend you've never used Grayson because I'm pretty sure we all saw it. And don't you tell Dad. That's for me to do." Jessica looks like she could blow up. I feel like I've finally shut down this argument. But then she proves me wrong.

"Does he know about-" I clamp a hand over her and hold her mouth shut. Stare at her with wide eyes. Jessica gives me a smug smile. She's trying to ruin this relationship already.

"Leave. Leave and keep your mouth shut. Do it for the fact that I know somewhere inside you, that you care about me. Even the tiniest bit." She pulls away. Looks between me and Grayson and then leaves. I turn around and see Grayson staring at me.

He's mad. Mad at the fact that I'm still hiding something.

"You know what I'm not even going to ask. I should've known." He walks away from me. "Grayson wait," I follow him up the stairs before sending a small smile to Kathelyn and whispering a 'one sec'. 

When we reach my room he's putting his wallet and phone in his pockets. "Please," I try laying a hand on him but when he steps around me I stay frozen in place. "My shirt." His words are cold enough to make me shiver. I just take the shirt off and hand it to him, my eyes on the wall behind him not wanting to see the anger seeping from him. 

"Grayson-" 

"If you're gonna lie to me then you might as well be a copy of your sister." My eyes fly up to him. My defense falls back down. "I'll see you later." He walks out of the room pulling on his suit jacket. 

I want to shrivel up in a corner and die. I hug my body feeling a panic attack coming. It starts with heavy breathing. 

Stop it Evelyn, breathe.

The attack miraculously melts away.

Suddenly I remember how Katheyln might still be sitting downstairs so I go to my closet and pull out a T-shirt and jeans.  Before I head downstairs I wipe off my makeup and pull my hair up into a ponytail. 

I just got into my first fight with Grayson...

"Hi," I reach Kathelyn and pull her into a hug. "sorry you had to witness all that," I whisper, she just hugs me tighter. "So you know, I'm on your side. Jes has no say in your relationship."  I scoff as I release the hug. "Im sure the relationship won't last anyways." Kathelyn follows me to the couch and we sit.

"Why's that?" She asks. "Im lying to him. I-" She holds my hands in hers. "Remember Trevor?" Kathelyn was one of the few people I told about the incident almost immediately. She stayed with me as I sobbed into my bed, in her arms, yelled in my sleep. 

"Well, I- My dad ordered me to-" The grip on my hands tightens. Like she knows what I did already. "Turns out he was Graysons best friend and now im with Grayson and im lying to him about it and Im hiding it and I had promised him I wasn't keeping anything from and now im screwed because Grayson's the only one who makes me feel complete so when he finds out we will probably never speak again and I just I-" I ramble quickly. Kathelyn pulls me into a hug. Rubs my back as I start crying. 

"It will be ok. You'll get through it Eveyln." She pulls away from the hug and smiles at me. I wipe my tears and laugh. "You seem so put together. You look great by the way." She smiles and I take in her appearance. Her black wavy hair, her soft lightly tanned yet pale skin, rosy cheeks, and shining hazel eyes. Her hair is hallway up tied back with a ribbon. 

"So what did you end up doing with your life after you left?" We both laugh. "Im trying to become an author, It sounds silly but I just have so many ideas of worlds and characters." I shake my head. "Not silly at all. If anything its exactly what you give off. A best-selling author. I mean look at your outfit. 

She was wearing a creme-colored sweater paired with a black skirt and black tights. Heel boots stop at her ankle.

"Thank you," 

"Whose the lucky guy?"

"What?" She laughs. "I don't have a boyfriend. I guess I haven't laid eyes on someone with my standards." I laugh along with her. "Well, you definitely should have guys throwing themselves at you. You're gorgeous." I see her cheeks turn a soft pink. The thing about her is that when she blushes or gets embarrassed it's highly noticeable. It's kinda cute. Guys must love it.

"Well, I came to see you because im moving here. To New York. I was hoping to see If I still had a friend." I hold her hands exactly. "What that's great. And of course, you do!" 

We hug again and I feel it again. The rush I get when someone is happy with me. Im such a fucking people pleaser. 

Grayson.

My smile fades.