Robin

I felt the pain before the shock, and soon I was gasping for air. The pain sent my head reeling, and I was soon wondering what was going on. In the distance, I heard Ron's voice calling out to me, and I opened my mouth. Nothing came out.

Before I went out, I saw a truck in front of me, and a person got out. He flung the door open, and then quickly jumped out, jogging down the steps. He gasped, and a look of horror came upon his face when he saw me. Was I that hideous?

Ron ran to my side, and soon my head was resting on his legs. He was sobbing, and saying something, but all I could see were the tears cascading down his cheeks.

I opened my mouth again, but the distant wee woo interrupted me. Everything was distant.

My eyes drifted closed, and the pain slowly started to subside. Grateful for the haven, and free from pain, I let it consume me. I pushed away everything that was popping into my head, about comas and letting yourself fall asleep.

A second before, I saw a policewoman step close, and a bunch of people dressed as nurses and doctors ran out of an ambulance.

The questions ran through my head right before I went out.

'Why is everyone panicking?'

'Why does that truck guy look so horrified?'

'Why are there police cars and ambulances?'

'What is a fire truck doing here?'

'Why are they all so distant?'

'Why is everything so blurry?'

'Why am I in pain?'

'Why is Ron crying?'

'What are they saying?'

'Why are they all so muffled?'

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I woke up, I was in a hospital bed. I knew that for sure. There were beeping machines everywhere, and there was one of those machines which monitors the pressure of your blood next to the bed I was in. The uniform was annoying, and it felt uncomfortable.

I tried to get up, but pain erupted in my side, where it was hurting earlier. It'd been mostly numb before, but now it was unbearable. With a groan, I let out a breath and stopped struggling. Something was wrong. I let out a breath.

That was when the panic ensued inside me, and I started to struggle to gain steady breathing. What had happened? Why was this breath monitor thing attached to me? Why am I in pain? What happened? My questions from earlier remained unanswered, and I was more confused than I was before I'd passed out.

Then it hit me.

How could I be so stupid?

Ron and I were making our way home after college. I was crossing the road with a few seconds left, and the truck driver - not seeing me – had hit me. I'd collapsed, and right then and there, I'd forgotten everything that was going on! What the heck was wrong with me?

I shouldn't have gone late! What was going to happen to me now?

Tears threatened to burst, but I shook my head. No. I will not. That was when I heard a voice, calling out to me.

"Robin?" I looked down to see Ron by my bedside, his voice scratchy, and his eyes moist. Beside him sat the awkward looking horrified truck driver, and another boy, who just looked confused.

"How much water have you drank?" I chuckled.

Ron shook his head and bit his lip. Choosing not to answer me, He embraced me as much as he could without moving me or himself much, and I could feel my shirt getting wetter by the second.

The other boy looked pitying.

When he finally separated himself from me, I asked Ron, "Who are they?"

Ron looked awkward. "The man who ran over you, and his son."