Chapter 9

Joel finally told the truth. Every little detail like Ellie wanted. Ellie is the only one that is immune, there are no others like her, he just made it up.

He killed the doctor that was supposed to perform the surgery on Ellie and he also mowed down a lot of firefly soldiers. I don't blame him for that. And I also don't blame him for not giving Ellie away, I would have done the same.

Ellie was shocked. She stood up and insulted Joel, even tried to punch him but I held her back which made her hug me and break down in tears.

Joel: I'm so sorry-

Ellie: Spare me your apologies, those mean nothing, not anymore. Through me, a cure could have been found, this madness could have finally been stopped, but you only thought about yourself.

Joel tried to put a hand on her shoulder but she pushed him away and ran out of his hut.

Joel let out a deep a sigh. He was on the verge of tears which was understandable.

Joel: Go on, tell me how wrong I was. Tell me how you would've done it better.

I shook my head.

Y/N: I would've done the same.

He looked up to me slightly surprised.

Joel: Well then, that's finally one thing that we agree on.

Y/N: I'll talk to her.

Joel: That'll make no difference, she will hate me for the rest of her life.

Y/N: Don't say that.

Joel: But that's the truth and I know I'm the one to blame for that.

Y/N: She'll calm down eventually and realise you did the right thing. She will forgive you, you're like a father to her after all.

Joel: That's more than I could ever ask of her.

Y/N: Can I ask you something?

He nodded.

Y/N: Are the WLF connected to the Fireflies in any way?

Joel: I don't know, maybe.

Y/N: Maybe they want to avenge the fallen Fireflies back at the hospital, that's why they're coming for you.

Joel: Could be. I made a lot of enemies back then.

He looked at the floor not saying anything else.

Y/N: Alright, I guess I'll get going. I'll try to find Ellie.

He just nodded without even looking at me.

I left his hut and went over to Ellie's place. I knocked, no answer. She must be somewhere else.

I went to the gate and saw Tommy on the way.

Tommy: And? How did it go?

Y/N: Not good. Ellie's really pissed at Joel.

Tommy: Can't blame her for that, I would be too.

Y/N: Yeah...do you think you can pay Joel a visit? Maybe try to cheer him up a little, I would've done it myself but I have to find Ellie.

Tommy: Of course, I will. Ellie went out of Jackson. But I don't know where she went exactly.

Y/N: I think I know where she went. I'll go after her.

Tommy: Good, see you later.

Y/N: Later.

I left Jackson and went to my supply stash, I was right, she was there. Sitting on the ground looking down at Jackson.