Chapter 8

Lady Artemis' backyard was as humongous, beautiful, and closed-off as her palace.

However, Percy found himself not able to gape in awe at all the plants and streams because he was too focused on how close Lady Artemis was.

Even though she was a good foot away, he couldn't help it; ever since the situation with Lady Diana, there was an indiscernible feeling in his gut whenever he thought about the goddess.

Even worse, he started blushing whenever the breeze pushed her scent toward him.

"Where are we going?" he asked, trying to distract himself as he followed Lady Artemis down a paved path through a grove of gorgeous silver plants.

"You'll see," was her cryptic answer.

Only, Percy wasn't irritated with her short words. Instead, he was relieved. The moment she'd started talking, he'd been hypnotized by her voice.

He chided himself as he increased his following distance. He should not be having these weird emotions around Lady Artemis. Sure, it might've been Lady Diana's fault, but Lady Artemis didn't think about fairness. If she knew he was admiring her, Percy concluded that he wouldn't be in this body anymore.

Soon, they reached a square meadow at the end of her backyard. It was beautiful, with all sorts of flowers decorating the flawless grass; if Percy had been alone, he would've taken a nap inside the meadow.

Well, he would've if not for the hind occupying it.

Artemis walked towards it confidently. Percy followed slowly, unsure of her plan. Wouldn't it be scared off?

However, step by step, the hind seemed to be getting calmer. Or maybe more cautious. Percy didn't know hind emotions. 

But he did notice that the hind . . . didn't look like a regular deer.

First of all, the antlers. They weren't made out of bone—instead, they were pure gold. And at least twice as big and sharp as any other pair of antlers he'd seen on a deer, while its fur glimmered like jewels. Moreover, its hooves seemed to gleam in the light—and it took Percy a moment to realize that they were made out of . . .

"Bronze?" Percy said incredulously as they reached the hind. It was beautiful up close and the antlers looked stunning. But it also looked familiar . . .

Lady Artemis looked at him confused, and he clarified. "Are its hooves made out of bronze?"

Immediately, Percy felt like he said something wrong. Lady Artemis was glaring at him—and it took him a moment to realize the hind was also looking at him in anger. 

"She's a female," Lady Artemis said sharply. "And they're made out of celestial bronze. You'll know her better as the Ceryneian Hind." 

Percy subconsciously took a step back. He'd accidentally insulted one of the most powerful animals in Greek mythology—and given that it was Lady Artemis' sacred animal, she probably wasn't going to forgive him.

Why do I always get into these situations? Percy wondered in panic as the Ceryneian Hind snorted and looked away. I'm going to die!

"Go apologize to her." Lady Artemis pushed him towards the hind. 

Percy looked at her, unsure.

"I would think your life is more valuable than your pride," Artemis told him.

With that, Percy gulped and slowly stalked forward toward the animal. In retrospect, he was probably taking a big risk—but his brain wasn't really in the right place at the moment.