Chapter 17

A/N-Longer chapter than normal. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Percy's shoulders were slumped as he walked through the heart of Camp.

Breakfast had started a few minutes ago. The dining pavilion—big enough to seat hundreds—was packed full of demigods. The exquisite smell of waffles, pancakes, and eggs filled the air, drawing the late-rising demigods to the dining space like flies to a light.

But Percy didn't care. He was too involved in his grief to do anything normal. 

He didn't notice the idle chatter die down to silence as everybody stared at him shuffle away.

The demigod's head was still bowed as he walked up the stone steps and through the wooden door into the Poseidon cabin.

It was exactly how he left it six months ago. The door to the massive bathroom still hung open, exposing the towel he'd left on the countertop. Every bed of the thirty in the cabin had a slightly different comforter fold—courtesy of Percy when he had some extra free time. Tyson's shield hung in the corner, gleaming in the dim light that shone in from the open-shuttered window. Lord Poseidon was still in his marble fountain with water shooting out of his mouth.

Percy didn't bother to turn on the light. He just jumped onto the closest bed and stared at the ceiling, unwrapping every single moment in that disastrous moment. 

Suddenly, he grabbed a pillow and punched it in anger. Why did he always have the worst luck? Couldn't he get a break? He punched it again, and the bed shook.

"You're going to destroy it," a voice warned him in a monotone.

Surprised, Percy rolled off the bed to stand up. Unfortunately, his foot got caught in the sheet and with a painful thud, he fell to the marble floor.

A male was sitting on the bed opposite him. The dim light revealed his unpleasant expression as well as his sandy brown hair.

"What are you doing here?" Percy demanded him. "Come to kill me again?"

"Maybe," Apollo admitted. "Though if you address to me what happened, I might spare you."

"I don't owe you anything," Percy snarled. "Just kill me. I don't want to live anymore."

Apollo sighed, a painful expression on his face. "Look. I . . . apologize about trying to kill you the other day. Ares had challenged me to a duel earlier that day and banned me from using a bow mid-fight! The nerve of him!" The god took a deep breath, obviously still not over it. "I was angry and bitter. So I decided to challenge someone who was powerful—but not as powerful as me. You happened to be the only one that fit the criteria on Olympus that day, so I made up some excuses to fight you." Apollo gave Percy a serious look. "But an hour ago, I found my sister weeping in her bedroom. You weren't there to comfort her, so I assumed something happened between you both."

I might not show it, but I would give up my immortality to protect my younger—and she is younger—sibling. I don't want to accuse you of anything, so either you barf up what happened—or I'll disintegrate you on the spot."

Percy considered his words. He was tempted to choose the latter option; the demigod didn't have the drive to do anything after Artemis insulted him. It would be an easy choice and, hopefully, he wouldn't mess up as much in his next life.

But that wasn't right. As much as Percy had been affected by their interaction, Artemis had it much worse; he had been able to see the horrible heartbreak and pain she was enduring in her eyes. Dying would mean he wouldn't be able to help her. Dying would be selfish.