Chapter 62

"It's Greek fire!" Percy yelled as the mermen around him began to panic, running in all directions to escape the green blaze that had been ignited seemingly everywhere. "We have to work together—"

Escaping individually was not an option. As Percy watched grimly, several dozen warriors tried to dodge a geyser of the flame and instantly disintegrated. If they didn't work together, the mythological weapon would engulf everyone.

Fortunately, he wasn't alone.

"Such a party trick is not allowed to kill my honorable warriors!" Poseidon roared. He flicked his wrist, and his regular weapon—the golden sister of Aśimi—appeared in his hand. A blue energy shot forth from the tips, extinguishing any Greek fire with which it came in contact.

". . . That seems very handy," Percy commented. 

"What, you thought even the gods had no defense against this trick? A superior fire requires superior water to extinguish. My kingdom has been attacked with his many times—but this is the wrong weapon to be used against me."

Percy had to admit, he'd never thought about how the Greek fire that'd lit up every corner of Camp after the Second Titan War had been extinguished. He'd just thought it ran out of things to burn. A blaze this easy to take care of shouldn't have killed so many of his comrades.

For the two-hundredth time in my life, I've learned that the gods don't value us, Percy thought. How can such lazy beings be so superior?

But through his dealings with Poseidon, he realized that maybe "superior beings" was a title tacked on by the Olympians. Because what he saw in their behavior was not unlike a toddler having way too much power over their surroundings.

Still, that didn't mean they didn't have some positives. "You stay here and help out the warriors," Poseidon said. His blue beams had taken out most Greek fire looming around the outpost, but some mermen were still in trouble.

"And how am I supposed to do that? Wave my hands around and beg?" Percy asked sarcastically. 

Poseidon's eyes flared with anger at the young man's tone. But Percy didn't care. This defiance paled in comparison to what the god had put him through. 

Poseidon tapped his weapon against Percy's, and Asími glowed blue with the same light. "Woah," Percy gasped. Copying Posiedon, he tried zapping some fire—and jumped back in surprise when it actually worked. "This is just like zapping mosquitos back in Montauk!" "Don't get too excited. You still have a job to do."

"Right. Where are you going?"

"I need to help my people." Poseidon looked determined. "There's no doubt that this attack was to draw me out of Atlantis—but who would do such a thing?"

"I'm coming with you, Dad. Whoever this was, they have a solid plan. We need all the power on our side."

"Percy, didn't I tell you to focus on the outpost?" Poseidon was annoyed now. He spun around. "Your job is important as well—"

His voice died in his throat as he looked for the Greek fire plaguing the place below him—or rather, the lack of it. 

"But there isn't any more work I have to do," Percy said innocently.

Within the few minutes that the god hadn't been looking, Percy had successfully extinguished every fire. Normally, he wasn't the one you wanted on duty with ranged weapons. But firing off lasers with Asími felt . . . natural. 

"Maybe I should use a bow," he muttered, looking at his hands in awe.

Poseidon's mouth hung wide open. "It took me years to overcome the curse and master that technique. How in the world . . ." He closed his mouth and cleared his throat, catching himself. "Impressive. Let's go to Atlantis, shall we?"