Chapter 60

"Percy."

A deep, gravelly voice—one that Percy'd hoped he wouldn't have to hear for the rest of the evening. And maybe even the rest of his life. Now all my dreams are shattered.

Percy huffed, then spun around on the dirt pathway—maybe the only nonpaved road on Olympus, tucked away on the south side behind Hades' palace. "What a time to show up. Aren't you supposed to be giving the demigods a celebratory speech in the throne room right now or something?"

Percy didn't know how the god had caught up to him; he'd been hiking away from his problems for a few hours now. The sun was peeking out from the horizon, threatening to disappear fully. Surrounded by the peaceful scenery of the hike, Percy didn't feel the need to return back to the social gathering.

Until now.

"Is that how you speak to your father?" the god, who looked a lot like Percy, countered. "I taught you better than this."

"I doubt so. Especially after you disowned me for . . . my behavior and my lack of drive, was it?"

Poseidon winced. "Listen, Percy, I wasn't in the right mind back then . . ."

"Oh, so you're saying this is a normal occurrence whenever you get angry?" Percy couldn't even look at his pathetic father anymore. "I don't think I see a future with a father who can't even treat me as human."

"Now you're twisting my words . . ."

"Enough. You abandoned me at the time I most needed you—and you expect me to walk right back to you? I have other things to do than listen to nonsense." Percy smirked, but he couldn't cover up the sorrow in his eyes. "And my former father did teach me one thing: never to talk to strangers. So I guess this is goodbye, Olympian-that-I-barely-know."

As Percy turned to leave, he didn't see the flash of rage in Poseidon's eyes. No one talked to an Olympian like that. Not even Amphitrite, at her most furious moments—usually after she found him cheating—did she let loose on the god.

If the god wanted to kill Percy on the spot, no one would stop him. But as he took a step forward, his injured knee buckled, reminding him of his promise with a certain goddess.

"Percy," Poseidon said, placing a hand on the demigod's shoulder before he could escape. "I understand that you're angry—and for good reason. But look at the effort I'm putting in to rekindle our relationship. I was wrong, and you can walk away—but can't you give your old man one last chance?"

Percy stopped. A myriad of emotions barreled through his mind. Annabeth had used this strategy on him many times—and by now, he was immune to it . . .

"Let's go," Percy said with a sigh.

Rather, he should've been immune to Poseidon's words. But as happiness burst through the lenses of the god's eyes, Percy couldn't help but laugh at his own foolishness. When it came to pleasing people, he always lost. One of these days, I'm going to die because of this.

Once Percy gave his permission, Poseidon snapped his fingers—and suddenly, the boy found himself outside of Atlantis.

Such a cheat-key, Percy thought as he stumbled backward, not expecting the lightness in his msucles.

Like every day, there were guards on patrol. Outside the gates today, however, were the guards that Percy'd pummeled last time he was here. Their armor was scuffed and dented, and their expressions were sullen. When they saw the son of the sea, they growled and pointed their weapons at him.

"What are you two doing?" Poseidon barked in anger. "How dare you threaten him while I'm watching?"

The guards gulped in fear—it seemed as though they'd just seen their king. "Lord Poseidon!" the senior one greeted, waving wildly for his compatriots to drop to their knees. "We were surprised when we saw the traitor—"