Chapter 20

"What are you doing?! You can't move the flag!"

The defense of the blue team was in shambles.

Surprisingly, the Aphrodite cabin was trying its best to help.

However, it would've been better if they hadn't.

"We're putting it in a better spot," a young Aphrodite son—Liam—responded in a matter-of-fact tone.

Percy looked at him incredulously. "You're putting it up in a tree!"

Half of the Aphrodite cabin abandoned their patrol a few minutes ago, yanked the flag from Zeus' Fist, and surrounded the tree. As Percy was watching, a small boy nimbly climbed up the tree, the flag held tightly between his teeth. Once fifty feet above the ground, he looked down. "Is this good enough?"

"No!" Percy exclaimed as Liam said, "Go higher, Abbot."

Percy took a few steps forward. "Are you trying to lose?" he asked Liam.

"No. I'm trying to win, old man." There were a few quiet sniggers at the insult.

Percy gritted his teeth. "This plan just proves you're an idiot."

The air was filled with silence. Suddenly, the only thing Percy could hear was his rising heartbeat and the whish of the wind.

 High above them, Abbot hesitated. "I've climbed double. Is this high enough?"

"No!" Liam shouted, glaring at Percy. "Keep on going until I tell you to stop, stupid boy!"

An unknown feeling settled in Percy's stomach as he realized what was going on. This isn't about the flag at all. It's about the boy. They're bullying him!

The son of the sea looked up. He noticed the nervous expression on Abbot's face. "Get down from there, Abbot! You're going to fall!" he yelled.

Abbot hesitated—but kept on going when he saw Liam's glare. 

Liam stepped in front of his siblings—no, his gang.

"I would worry about yourself if I were you, moron," Liam threatened. "Get out of my business . . ."

"I can't climb any higher!" Abbot's voice was filled with panic. "The branches are too thin!"

At this point, Abbot was just a small blur touching the tree—at least two hundred feet up. His voice seemed like the whisper of the wind.

"Did I ask for your concern?" Liam raged at Abbot. "Keep climbing or I'll break all your bones!"

The blur started to slowly inch up. 

 "You can insult me all you want," Percy said quietly. "But I won't tolerate this behavior to others."

Liam smiled wickedly. "Let's see if your fists are as strong as your words, old man."

As the demigod charged at Percy a loud crack filled the air. A scream pierced everyone's ears as Abott plummeted toward the ground from a fatal height.

Liam threw a punch toward Percy. 

The son of the sea easily caught it and scoffed. "Looks like this old man has to teach you some manners."

With that, he drove a knee into the bully's solar plexus. Liam staggered back, gasping for breath— but there was no respite. He saw stars as Percy's punch hit him square in the nose and threw him to the ground. 

Meanwhile, Abbot was two seconds from hitting the ground—and breaking his back. He closed his stinging eyes in defeat—but they opened back up when he hit something soft.