Chapter 36

When Percy returned to the training arena, the mood was dour. It was like a pair of invisible dumbbells were stuck to his shoulders, weighing him down.

Lousiana and Alina were sparring—but that wasn't quite the right word. Their swords were clashing, but neither recruit tried to win the match. Instead, both had their feet planted as they swung their swords in predictable arcs, obviously thinking about something else.

Even Nico and Serena couldn't escape the situation. Percy walked through the arena entrance and saw Nico "attempting" to help the recruit. Both were listless and acting as though they were alone in the world. 

"What a sight," Percy commented drily. "Did someone take your happiness and leave?"

"Percy!" Serena, Alina, Louisiana—and surprisingly, Nico—exclaimed in unison. Nico, Alina, and Louisiana rushed toward him, with Serena following in hot pursuit. The archer was so rushed that she didn't even bother to unstring her arrow, which sailed over the north arena wall and disappeared into the forest. The distinct screech of a monster in pain followed it. Nice shot.

"Woah!" Percy exclaimed as Lousiana leaped onto him, almost making him topple over. "Why are you so relieved? You saw me just a few hours ago."

"I thought you ran away." His shirt muffled Louisiana's voice. She squeezed his torso tighter—and Percy found it hard to breathe.

Percy's reply was soft. "I'd never leave you guys."

"How about you let him go?" Alina asked the teenager. "He looks like he's about to pass out."

"Fine," Louisiana grumbled, stepping back. "But you're not getting out of my sight for a week."

"I'll try my best," Percy promised. He shot Alina a thankful look, but she just bit her lip and looked away.

Serena and Nico pushed forward. "You scared me," the archer said, punching Percy lightly in the chest. "Don't do that again."

"I won't." Percy smiled, finally feeling as though he was telling the truth. He looked at Nico.

The son of Hades just nodded, as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened. "Welcome back."

"Well, if you guys are done sulking, why don't you return to training?" Percy suggested enthusiastically. 

Louisiana narrowed her eyes at him. "And where are you planning to go?"

"Nowhere! I'll watch from the side."

Convinced by his words, Lousiana skipped back into the arena center, followed by the others. The air felt more jubilant, as though the weight that had prevented the recruits from training had disappeared. 

As the others turned their backs on him, however, Percy let the fake smile slide off his face, giving room for what he actually felt like: a downturned brow; dark, stormy eyes; and the manly urge to cry. Since his father had disappeared, a sharp pain in his heart had appeared—and it refused to retreat. He felt as though he was broken, and never could be fixed. 

He's not my father, Percy thought. Not anymore. Now, we're just strangers. I can't let him ruin my life.

But no matter what he thought, Percy still didn't get it. Sure, immortals were callous and cruel—but they weren't monsters. They still had hearts. 

Then how did Poseidon push him away without regret? As if the two of them hadn't made memories together—as if Percy was a piece of trash that the god had been looking to throw away. He even broke the divine laws to visit Percy on his birthday.

Did that not matter?

As Percu drowned in the sea of betrayal and loneliness, he forgot about one thing: not everyone followed Louisiana to train. And that was horrifyingly apparent as a body thumped down on the bleacher right next to him—close enough to see his heartbroken expression.

For one brief moment, Percy's heart stopped beating. Did she see? Percy thought, panicking. For now, he wanted to keep his disownment a secret. Telling other people would lead to rumors of his powerlessness spreading—and if it started with Alina, she'd probably challenge him to a duel. 

Percy blinked rapidly, shooing away the tears, and then turned to Alina with a fake mask of calm. "Do you need something from me?" he asked, all the while chanting mentally, You didn't see, you didn't see, you didn't see.

"Yeah," Alina said quietly. 

Percy tensed. Here it comes. He watched Alina's tongue come out nervously like a snake, licking at her lips before retreating. She was probably replaying her utter defeat to Percy during their last duel, and building up the courage to contest him again. 

But Percy didn't expect her to blurt out: "I'm sorry!"

There was a pause. Finally, Percy asked her to repeat herself.

Alina looked away. Her cheeks were as red as a tomato. "I-I'm sorry. For everything. I didn't know that the pranks were that bad."

Percy gaped at her, so stunned that his mouth was probably the size of a dinner plate. He'd been so worried about his own situation that he hadn't paid attention to the recruit's appearance. Given that she was unable to meet his eyes, and that her legs were bouncing up and down nervously, it was obvious that she hadn't seen anything. That means . . . my secret is safe!!!

"Uh . . . Percy?" Alina asked warily as a colossal grin overtook his face. "I know that I'm in the wrong, but . . . were the pranks this bad? Did the marble floor drive you crazy?"

"Oh, sorry!" Percy collapsed his face into a glare his mom would have given him if he broke one of her dishes—but fought to contain another smile. "You're fine. Just don't do it again. Truth be told, I'd completely forgotten about the pranks." 

"Yeah, I know," Alina muttered, too quiet for him to hear. And then she froze, as though she'd said something wrong. 

"What's that?" Percy pushed her. Uneasiness churned through his gut.

Alina opened her mouth, but before she could respond, a shrill voice cut through the air. "Alina!" Louisiana shouted from the arena center. "I'm bored. Leave Percy alone and come spar with me!"

Alina looked to Percy for permission.

"I'll see you later," Percy dismissed her, pushing his dread aside. It was probably the fault of some lasting dregs of adrenaline. He'd been through a lot that afternoon. 

But as Alina hurriedly descended the bleachers, Percy couldn't help but shake the feeling that she was running away from him.