Chapter 48

When Artemis heard her name reverberate through the world—and eventually into her palace—she wondered what the hell was going on.

But she was kind of excited. I'll kill anyone who makes fun of me.

You see, life had been monotonous since her breakup—a constant repetition of eating, training, and sleeping. While she didn't need to do any of these things, the routine helped her ease out of her heartbreak.

Or at least, that's what she told herself. 

She refused to acknowledge that the time spent in refuge only made the gap in her heart expand. That her only solace from the cruel world made everything seem oh-so-slightly crueler . . .

So when a mysterious voice called her name, the goddess quickly grabbed her bow and flashed out to start a new chapter in her life—or so she hoped.

Her eyes darted all over the place, ready to save the maiden in need—who else would call on her so earnestly? 

Or so she thought.

Green, green, and lots more green. Who would torment, break up with—or even worse, kill a woman smack dab in Artemis' territory? This might be a first . . . 

Then, a flash of silver dashed toward a spot only a few feet from Artemis. One blink, and the threat was halfway there. Artemis cursed and brought up her bow. A golden arrow appeared on the bowstring as she pulled it back. Only an explosive arrow can catch a swift predator. I'm sorry, my domain's refugees—I am doing this to save us both.

Before she could release the arrow though, pumped with so much divine power that it would be like a nuke going off, Artemis found three young women clad in silver kneeling—to show her respect. They have my hunter's clothes . . .

Could it be? Did her dead hunters find her in their second life after grouping up? A huge smile blossomed on Artemis' face—something that'd been missing from her arsenal since he had betrayed her. Even Uncle Hades can't suppress our bond with each other.

A flash of blonde hair broke Artemis out of her thoughts, and then a thumb and forefinger grasped her bowstring delicately. "Sorry for the disrespect, Lady Artemis—but could you put your arrow away? I thought I was going to die."

Artemis wanted to reply, "Anything for my hunters," but she took another look to confirm her feelings. 

These aren't my hunters. Each was built like a youthful huntress, but the looks she got were ones of nervousness and . . . tiredness. And the beautiful woman who had spoken looked directly into the goddess' eyes as if looking at her in a different light. Despite her pride, Artemis knew that her old hunters had nowhere as near as much gall as Young Atalanta did. 

"Who are you?" Artemis questioned, finally releasing her arrow. It disappeared into nothingness, but her tight grip on her bow didn't change.

"We are"—the burliest girl tugged Young Atalanta into a deep bow without looking up—"At your service, my lady. If you accept us, we will gladly adopt the name of the hunters of Artemis."

"I know that. What I need from you is your reason. How did you develop this group without my knowledge?" Artemis couldn't muster up a sharp tone as she added, "Speak carefully. Lies will grant you nothing but death."

The four prospective hunters froze and then looked at each other as if they had no idea how to answer the question. Then, as a shocked Artemis watched, their attention broke as they whispered amongst themselves.

They aren't regular, for sure. Sneaking up on a goddess—that too, in her domain—was no easy feat. Artemis was impressed. If they'd come a few months earlier, she would've accepted them immediately—but her faith in humanity had been sucked dry.