Chapter 57

There weren't a lot of first times in this day and age for Artemis.

While this might've been an exaggeration for a human, it wasn't for her. The goddess had lived for millennia; she'd done everything and anything. And yes—that included mistakes. 

Furthermore, even future inventions couldn't change this fact. Having Apollo as a brother, Artemis knew about the various instruments, happenings, and gossip that would happen in dozens of years. It was like having someone spoiling dozens of movies—except it was real life.

But imagine Artemis' surprise when she started chasing a boy around. And it wasn't because she wanted to kill him.

She wanted him.

Three words that seemed forbidden for a maiden goddess to think. But she'd even said it to her hunters. They'd agreed with her—if he wasn't the man for Artemis, then she'd be alone forever. (Of course, they hadn't said this to her face.)

Who was the one who'd stolen the goddess' heart? 

It was Percy Jackson, of course.

The elusive son of the sea invaded Artemis' every move—when she stared down at the oceans from her moon chariot every night, she had to choke down her tears. Then the sky looked like his eyes. Finally, he started appearing in her dreams.

But it wasn't like what you're thinking. Of course not. There were no kisses or marriage ceremonies. Artemis' face burned just thinking of it.

They're much darker. Every night, her visions were full of dark fog, restricting her movements as if Kronos had her limbs under control. 

Then Percy would appear: a tall, well-defined silhouette that Artemis was very familiar with. He would stare at her for a few moments, then turn around—and walk away.

Artemis would have no choice but to watch. She always tried to scream, Come back! but the sound wouldn't exit her throat. It was like she was watching a horror movie—one that wouldn't end until the object of her desires disappeared into the fog.

Artemis could deal with it, though. She'd been through too much for such dreams to catch her off balance. This is all an illusion, anyways.

But the son of the sea was as elusive in her dreamworld as he was in real life. He barely came out of the Hades cabin—and when he did, it was during an ungodly hour for his snack runs, or to go down to the beach.

That was it. If Artemis didn't know any better, she'd probably assume the cabin had a huge underground space full with everything unimaginable.

That's not going to stop me. Artemis was determined—and when she had her mind on something, she never gave up. She posted her hunters in Camp Half-Blood for an indefinite period of time—something that they accepted with sadistic glee, but something the campers vehemently opposed. 

Then she started holing up in a tent in front of the Hades cabin. 

Sure, campers stared at her weirdly—but they were just demigods. One sharp glance their way caused them to speed-walk away. After all, it wasn't like they were on good terms with Percy either.

So with her plans in place, all Artemis had to do was wait. 

For two whole days.

That's when she saw her first glimpse of him since their encounter on the beach, at three in the morning. He wore a dark cloak and tread carefully, but Artemis was a hunter; it was impossible to avoid her. His beautiful sea-green eyes locked onto hers as she exited her tent—but he hurried away before she could say anything.

They had a dozen such encounters—Percy looking at her with a myriad of emotions, and Artemis frozen at the sight of him.

Why is he so handsome? she had to ask herself. It wasn't fair—he wasn't even a god. The small glimpses she had of his handsome face only made her yearning stronger. It was clear.

Percy was the right man for her. 

Even if she had to stay there for a century longer, she wouldn't give up. 

Eventually though, Percy broke. On the thirtieth day, he stormed up to Artemis. "Leave me alone," he demanded.

Artemis internally sighed in satisfaction his honey-soaked voice coated her ears. She'd been waiting for so long for this moment. "Can't you perhaps give me a moment? Percy, I've gone through all this effort for you."

Percy hesitated, but her words got to him. The amount of determination that Artemis had shown for the entirety of the month was impressive—adding to the fact that she was an Olympian, the group of immortals that abhorred anything that required patience.

Still, Percy was mad at Artemis. He wouldn't let one action change his mind. "I'm one day away from getting Chiron involved," Percy warned. "You might be an Olympian, but stalking a demigod is still a serious offense."

"Chiron? Is that really the best you can do?" Artemis surged forward, her body moving of her own accord."

Percy stumbled back, crashing into the cabin door. He hoped that the loud sound would wake Nico up, but he didn't hear any rustling from inside of the cabin. He was on his own.

By now, Artemis was close enough that Percy could feel her cool breath on his cheek. "If you're serious, then why don't you try calling Chiron now, Perseus?"

"Artemis . . ." But his voice was a whisper. He couldn't look into her eyes.

Her plump lips were a milimeter from his lips. "You have one thing wrong, Perseus. No one in their right mind would try to stop me. Your Chiron?" She placed a warm hand on his cheek. "He's powerless against me."

Then she pulled back, grinning in satisfaction as she took in Percy's red complexion. He looks so cute that I could kiss him . . .

Percy seemed to know what he was thinking, because he quickly gathered himself—then dashed  away, probably toward the beach.

"I'll see you at the Olympian banquet!" Artemis called out. 

That was where she would get her Percy back.