Chapter 58

Camp was abuzz with activity.

Demigods flocked to the dining pavilion, all chattering excitedly. The girls looked radiant with their dresses and makeup, and the boys had full tuxedos. This had never happened in the history of Camp before. And yet, everyone knew what was happening:

Today was the winter solstice—the day of the Olympian banquet.

For the past few millennia, it was one of two times when the Olympians would gather to discuss their problems. But after a certain demigod—no one wanted to think of him, forget saying his name aloud—wished for the relations between the immortals and their offspring to be rectified, the almighty Zeus himself decided to open the event to both camps. 

"It's a time of enjoying each others' company," he had announced while introducing the party. But everyone knew that the king of the gods just wanted another opportunity to showcase his strength—and create fear.

Nonetheless, the demigods were excited. Camp Half-Blood might've be designed with entertainment in mind, but it paled compared to Mount Olympus. Any chance the demigods got to visit the golden city atop the Empire State Building was too good to be true. 

A commotion ensued in the front of the pavilion, and then Chiron climbed up onto the stage. He motioned for the demigods to stop talking.

Nobody listened, but it wasn't because they had no respect for the centaur; at least five hundred people had gathered in the small place. Fewer than a dozen realized their camp director was on the stage. It was just too loud.

Then, the cabin leaders took charge of the situation. They climbed onto their respective tables and shouted in unison, "Silence!"

Their voices cut through all conversation. Words died in campers' throats as they obediently turned to the stage. Meanwhile, the leaders turned to one another and shared a glance of triumph.

And at the center of this victory was Annabeth Chase. The head of the Athena cabin—and the organizer of this whole event who was dressed in a stunning red velvet gown. As the demigods stared at her in awe, she couldn't help but flash a proud smile. I've done it.

"Listen up!" Chiron started with a grim tone. "Lord Hermes anticipates making his imminent presence known to assist us to Olympus in a few minutes. I'm sure you've all been briefed about the matters of this evening, so I won't chastise you any further. I have one more message for you . . . have fun!"

When the centaur burst into a blinding smile, the demigods released their breath all at once. They'd thought they had been in trouble—Chiron was seldom that strict. Now, to cover up their mistake, the demigods immediately started chatting once again.

Only to fall silent once again when a blinding flash of light appeared—and then . . . another?

In the center of the pavilion, demigods stumbled back. Others grumbled but allowed the movement. Within moments, the demigod leaders had moved to the front of the crowd, others overflowing out of the space. 

Annabeth took charge, bowing deeply and motioning for the others to imitate her. "Lord Hermes, we welcome your presence. And . . . Lord Apollo?" The young woman was slightly confused. She'd only been expecting one god. But she quickly recovered. "Thank you for gracing us with your presence."

Apollo cleared his throat. "I . . . know this is a bit of a surprise, but carry on with the normal events." He waved his hand dismissively as he scanned the crowd—like he had no time to spare for the demigods.

None questioned him, partly because an Olympian's words were the final say in all matters, but mostly because Apollo looked in no mood to be spouting out haikus—and all wanted to keep it that way.