Chapter 23

"Er . . . this isn't the way to the Apollo cabin," Percy pointed out as he pursued Serena out of the dining pavilion. "You're moving in the opposite direction of all the cabins."

It had been more accessible than Percy had imagined preventing Nico from tagging along after almost getting beaten up by Crooked Nose; Percy still didn't want to divulge his plan to his cousin, so he merely told Nico that he was "scouting for promising recruits." Without even a drop of concern, Nico had accepted his lousy excuse. Nico might've trusted him . . .

. . . or he was happily making his way to the Poseidon cabin to stink it up. Without Percy there, he would be free to do whatever he desired.

"You don't think I know that?" Serena didn't even spare him a backward glance as they treaded onto the footpath. "We're going somewhere else."

"Were you lying about retiring to your cabin?"

"Of course not. The party was a bore."

"Then why aren't you going there?"

"I'd thought you wanted privacy, with how you didn't inform me about your 'proposition' during the party," she answered. "Though we can head back . . ."

"Nonono," Percy hastily cut in. "This is fine—more than fine. It's splendid."

There was silence. Percy felt awkward; he probably should've deferred talking to the daughter of Apollo until morning. But after seeing her skills live . . . he couldn't wait that long. 

"I think this is secluded enough," Percy said a few minutes later. "We can converse here."

He had halted in the middle of the path. The road extended straight both ways, far enough that one couldn't see the end, and to the sides, the trees were as thin as basement pillars. Any hostile person in earshot would also be out in the open.

But Serena grabbed Percy's hand and dragged him forward without skipping a beat. "A bit further."

"Where are we going?" he had to ask. "The forest at midnight is dangerous."

Serena rolled her eyes. "No monster is stupid enough to contest us."

I'm not thinking of the monsters, Percy thought but followed obediently. Humans are stupid enough, though.

"What makes you think I'm going to accept?" Serena asked suddenly.

"Huh?" Percy hadn't been paying attention; instead, he'd been alert for an ambush.

"The proposition," Serena clarified. "Why would I agree?"

It was a good question that Percy hadn't thought of. What would Serena gain from it? Unfortunately, he could only consider the losses if she accepted: she would lose her family, home, and friends—and there was no guarantee that the plan would succeed.

"I have a . . . feeling that you'll like my offer," Percy truthfully responded.

"You're staking a lot on just a 'feeling.'"

"Well, I'm alive because I listen to them."

"Let's get to know each other," Serena suddenly said.

Percy chuckled. "Why now of all times?"

"Why not? I feel this proposition will include a lot of bonding time between us."

"And if your feeling is wrong?"

"Then I'll quit."

He laughed. It wasn't a conversation of concern like he had with Nico, nor a conversation where he felt looked down upon. Talking with Serena was different, as though he was talking with a best friend.