Chapter 51

A/N--Extra long chapter today! Hope you enjoy, and I love you guys :)

~~~

"Not here," Xavier groaned. "Can we please go somewhere else?" (A/N--Don't you dare think that way :))

Artemis cast a strange glance toward him. "Whatever made you hate this spot? I think it's quite lovely."

It was very beautiful, Xavier had to admit. After walking through the dense underbrush for half an hour, it was always a relieving sight to see the trees give way to a cliff, which overlooked the horizon. To the sides was nothing; to the bottom was the sea. A dense expanse of blue as far as one's eyes could see, with tiny white splotches dotting the wind—seagulls looking for their prey, almost mistaken by Xavier as his eyes failing in the dawning light.

Xavier shivered—and not because of the wind. I think I'm afraid of water.

Artemis pushed him forward—a well-treaded track of dirt leading to the edge. Xavier's stomach plummeted as he looked down, and he grabbed Artemis for support. "Hey, you love me, right?"

Artemis' stomach did a flip. ". . . Yes."

"Then let's get out of here before I have a heart attack."

Artemis laughed as if used to his behavior. The goddess forced him to sit, then snuggled up beside him, resting on a long log that they'd dragged over a few weeks ago. 

"I don't fit the vibe," Xavier decided. He put a casual arm around Artemis, trying to act cool, but in reality, he needed her. He was not a forest person—but now, he'd gotten used to it. 

Well worth the sacrifice to get closer to Artemis. 

"Well, what would you like?"

"Your palace."

Artemis stiffened, and Xavier realized with horror that he'd said his thoughts out loud. He closed his eyes, defeated. I was this close to having all the money in the world . . .

"Well, that makes sense." 

Xavier blinked his eyes open. "Excuse me?"

Artemis was right in his face. Her cool breath wafted over him, and her silver eyes were entrancing. Xavier had the urge to kiss her, but Artemis pulled back hesitatingly before he could do anything.

Subconsciously, it still . . . didn't feel right.

Xavier coughed, looked away, and tried to change the subject. "Forget about what I said."

If he had looked to the side, he would've caught Artemis trying to force the blush off of her cheeks. In the rising sun's subtle light, she looked adorable as she cleared her throat. "Maybe I was being a bit too harsh on you: you've lived in Chiron's custody your whole life. It's not fair to throw you into the forest head first."

"Does that mean . . ."

"The water looks especially beautiful today." A wistful tone took over Artemis' voice, greedily sucking in the view. She fought the urge to leap off the cliff and into the crystal water, which looked cool and crisp.

Xavier slouched, the excitement in his eyes drowned out by disappointment. "If I didn't know any better, I'd probably think you want to build a house here."

Artemis' expression stiffened, as if his words had reminded her of something. "Don't be ridiculous." She stood up, startling Xavier—and nearly knocking him off the edge.

"Hey! What was that for—?"

"You want to move in with me, right? Then, you'll have to do me a favor."