Chapter 2: I Know This Place

"Eve, Eveline," a soft voice whispered as she felt someone shaking her.

Eveline's eyes blinked open, as she looked to see who was shaking her awake.

Her heart stopped momentarily as she gazed at the figure.

It was Emmy Rossum.

After taking a closer look at the woman, what she was wearing, and how her hair was done, she spoke softly.

"Christine?"

The brunette chuckled softly, "Of course, silly. What other sister do you have that wakes you up whenever you sleep in?"

Sister?

What on earth was happening?

Before Eve could think on it too much, Christine spoke up, "Hurry up and get ready for rehearsal, or Madame Giry will have our heads."

And, without another word, Christine rushed out of the room, leaving a shell-shocked Eveline sitting on her bed.

"What the hell is going on?" Eve mumbled, gripping her auburn hair.

Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she realized she didn't have much of a choice other than to go to this rehearsal Christine spoke of.

She quickly got up and got ready, dressing in a similar outfit that Christine had been wearing, the slave's attire for Hannibal.

Once she was ready, she rushed out of the dressing room, quickly running down the spiral stairs. She dipped her pointe shoes in the container of chalk at the bottom of the stairs to keep her shoes from sticking to the stage.

Noticing Christine and Jennifer Ellison, or Meg, Eve rushed over to the dance bar, beginning warmups and stretches. This was a time when Eveline was extremely grateful for her years of ballet practice that her mother insisted on as a part of her musical theater 'hobby.'

Madame Giry walked in between the two parallel bars. She made eye contact with Eve, a warm smile blooming on her usually stoic features. Eveline easily masked the shock in her eyes, returning the woman's smile.

"This trophy from our saviors, from our saviors, from the enslaving force of Rome!"

Eveline winced at the piercing voice of none other than Carlotta Guidicelli. The soprano in question stood front and center on the stage, holding a severed dummy head, before tossing it to one of her maids.

"With feasting and dancing and song, tonight in celebration, we greet the victorious throng, returned to bring salvation! The trumpets of Carthage resound! Hear, Romans, now and tremble! Hark to our step on the ground! Hear the drums - Hannibal comes!"

Eveline had to bite her lip to keep herself from laughing when Carlotta tripped on the train of her elaborate costume.

"You made my dress train too long!" she hissed at her seamstress.

Eve rolled her eyes as Piangi stepped forward, his voice booming through the hall.

"Sad to return to find the land we love threatened once more by Roma's far-reaching grasp."

Monsieur Reyer tapped his baton on his music stand, trying to stop the orchestra as Piangi had once again messed up the line.

"Er, er, gentlemen, gentlemen, er..." he attempted to gain their attention.

"This way. Rehearsals, as you see, are underway for a new production of Chalumeau's Hannibal," Leferve wandered onto the stage, Andre and Firmin in tow.

"Monsieur Leferve, I am rehearsing!" Reyer exclaimed, clearly upset at the interruption.

"Monsieur Reyer, Madam Giry," Leferve began, making everyone look to him, "ladies
and gentlemen, thank you - may I have your attention, please? As you know, for some weeks there have been rumors of my imminent retirement. I can now tell you that these were all true and..."