Chapter 8: Il Muto and a Toad

Just as Eveline suspected, the role of the Countess went to Carlotta, whilst she was stuck with the role of the pageboy.

It didn't bother her much, she expected it. She just didn't know how she was going to survive acting as that shrieking soprano's lover. A small part of her hoped Erik would make her croak sooner, but she knew that wouldn't happen.

So here she was, an arm reluctantly wrapped around Carlotta's waist as the curtain around the bed rose, the Prima Donna's fan in front of their faces to make it look like they were kissing.

Eve pulled away, sending a faux surprised look to the audience as Carlotta began to sing.

"Serafimo! Your disguise is perfect !"

A musician hit a hollow wooden block with a mallet, creating the sound of someone knocking on a door.

"Why, who can this be?"

Meg went to "open" the "door," Piangi and his mini-me stepping through.

"Gentle wife, admit your loving husband."

He pretended to grab Meg's bottom, making the audience laugh.

Andre chuckled from his seat with Firmin in Box 5, speaking to his companion as he pointed at the stage, "That's exactly the sort of thing the public loves."

"My love - I am called to England on affairs of state, and must leave you with your new maid."

Eveline shook her bottom as she pretended to clean and Piangi pretended to grope her. She quickly turned around, an appalled look on her face.

Piangi turned to the audience and spoke, "Though I'd happily take the maid with me."

The audience laughed as Carlotta turned to them, hiding her mouth from Piangi with her fan, "The old fool is leaving!"

The audience laughed once more.

Eveline continued to "clean" around the stage as Carlotta and Piangi vocalized. She quickly darted her gaze up to the ceiling, knowing a certain "Opera Ghost" was hiding up there, waiting to make his appearance.

"Serafimo - away with this pretense!"

Eveline threw away the skirt she was wearing, revealing a pair of blue breeches as the fops and Confidante gasped at the scandal.

"You cannot speak, but kiss me in my husband's absence!"

Eve dramatically leaned towards Carlotta, the latter hiding their "kiss" with her fan once more as the audience laughed and applauded.

"Poor fool, he makes me laugh! Hahaha haha! The time I tried to get a better better half!"

Carlotta sang as Eveline strutted around the stage, the chorus soon joining in.

"Poor fool, he doesn't know! Hoho, Hoho, ho! If he knew the truth, he'd never, ever go!"

"Did I not instruct that Box 5 was to be kept empty?"

Eveline was broken from her focus to look up at the dome above the seats, spotting Erik as the audience looked confused and the cast looked afraid.

"He's here," Eveline said quietly.

"Your part is silent, little toad," Carlotta snapped at her, before smiling brightly at the audience, but Eve paid her no mind.

"A toad, madame? Perhaps it is you who are the toad," Eveline couldn't hear Erik speak, but she knew he did.

Carlotta made her way over to one of her maids who sprayed her mouth with her throat spray, before walking back to center stage, "Oh! Mi scusi, tutti. Maestro, de capo, por favore."

Reyer picked up the music again, and Carlotta began to sing. Eveline just watched the scene, smirking to herself.

Karma's a bitch, isn't it, Signora?

"Serafimo, away with this pretense! You cannot speak, but kiss me in my husband's-- CROAK!"

The rest of the cast and crew gasped at the croak that emitted from Carlotta's throat, and the audience was in shock, beginning to laugh.

Carlotta, not yet embarrassed, continued to sing.

"Poor fool, he makes me laugh! Haha, haha, CROAK...CROAK...CROAK."

Carlotta quickly ran off stage, Andre and Firmin appearing in front of the closing curtain. One of the fops was in front as well, and Reyer quickly shouted at him to get off as the audience continued to laugh.

"Er Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize. Er, the performance will continue in ten minutes time..." Firmin spoke, quickly grabbing Eveline from behind the curtain, "When the role of the Countess will be played by Miss Eveline Daae. Thank you."

The audience applauded as Firmin quickly ushered Eveline back behind the curtain to go change into the Countess costume, "Go, go, hurry up, hurry up."

Madame Giry grabbed her by the hand, leading her to the Prima Donna dressing room. After helping her change, Madame Giry quickly left the room to check on the ballerina girls. Eveline noticed something on the small table in the room.

It was another rose...with a black satin ribbon wrapped around the stem.

Remembering what was going to happen next, she decided to simply sit down on the chair beside the vanity. She gazed at the rose, running her fingertips over the delicate petals. She knew she should hate Erik for what he was about to do...but she couldn't bring herself to.

She never could bring herself to hate her Angel.

Eve found herself conflicted. She didn't know what to do next.

In the movie, Christine and Raoul went up to the roof, where they confess their love for each other. But he was still in love with Christine...

She figured she'd at least go up to the roof. Erik would be there and she didn't know what would happen if she wasn't up there.

She stood from her seat, bringing her rose as she walked to the door.

Eve paused a moment, taking a deep breath, before opening the door.

Here we go...