Chapter 5: The Rose

As Madame Giry led the sisters back to the Prima Donna room, Christine got separated, and Eveline looked around, only to see her hugging Raoul.

A soft smile bloomed on her lips. They really were wonderful together. Eve couldn't deny the fact that Raoul was handsome, but she fell for Erik the moment she saw him in the musical as a child.

As the two remaining women wandered into the Prima Donna room, Madame Giry kept some admirers from entering the dressing room.

Eveline looked around, shocked to see the number of flowers that covered the room.

Once Madame closed the door, Eveline turned to her, seeing the woman's warm smile.

"You did very well, my dear," she said, placing a hand under Eve's chin, before going to pick something up from a nearby table. "He is pleased with you."

Eveline's eyes widened as she saw it. A single red rose with a black satin ribbon wrapped around the stem. She ran her fingers over the ribbon, bringing the blossom to her nose and inhaling its sweet scent.

She was too enamored by the flower to notice Madame Giry quietly slipping out of the room. Her gaze was still on the rose. She sat down at the makeup vanity. She gently caressed the petals, a giddy smile blooming on her lips as a blush painted her pale cheeks.

She was in heaven. She received the rose. The rose from the Phantom. From Erik.

She didn't notice the door to her dressing room open and close until the intruder spoke up.

"Little Eevee, let her mind wander," she looked up, only to be met by Raoul's smiling face, "Little Eevee thought 'Am I fonder of dolls, or of goblins, or shoes?'"

"Raoul," she laughed softly.

"Or of riddles or frocks?" He continued.

Having the lines memorized, Eveline responded on instinct, "Those picnics in the attic."

"Or of chocolates?" Raoul finished.

"Father playing the violin," Eveline said, a far-off look in her eyes.

"As we and Christine read to each other dark stories of the north." Raoul reminisced, kneeling in front of Eveline's seat.

"'No - what I love best,' Eevee said, 'is when I'm asleep in my bed.'"

"And the Angel of Music sings songs in my head."

"The Angel of Music sings songs in my head."

Raoul wrapped his arms around Eveline in a loose hug. Eveline could tell there were no romantic feelings in the hug, simply platonic affection.

"You sang like an angel tonight," Raoul complimented softly, before pulling away.

Eveline smiled at the man, knowing what she had to say next, "Father said, "When I'm in heaven, child, I will send the Angel of Music to you." Well, Father is dead, Raoul, and I have been visited by the Angel of Music."

Raoul smiled back at her, "No doubt of it. And now we go to supper!"

As he stood, Eveline placed a hand on his, "Raoul, why don't you and Christine go without me? The Angel of Music is very strict, and I would hate to upset him."

Raoul tilted his head, but said nothing as Eve continued, a sly smirk on her face, "Plus, I know you are just dying to catch up with your Little Lotte."

The man blushed, clearing his throat as Eve chuckled, "If you insist. Are you sure you don't wish to join us?"

Eveline nodded, "Go! Enjoy yourselves. I swear I don't mind."

Raoul placed a polite kiss on Eveline's hand, before heading towards the door, "Well then, I'll leave you to rest, Little Eevee."

Eveline chuckled, "Goodnight, Raoul."

As the door closed, Eve couldn't hear the sound of the door locking, but she knew it was happening.

She stood, walking behind the privacy screen to change into her ruby red dressing gown.

Suddenly, a breeze whipped through the dressing room, blowing all the candles in the room out. Eveline's eyes widened.

She knew what was coming.

"Insolent boy! This slave of fashion, basking in your glory! Ignorant fool! This brave young suitor, sharing in my triumph!"

A soft exhale left Eveline's lips. His voice was even more enchanting than she expected. After collecting herself, she responded.

"Angel! I hear you! Speak, I listen ... stay by my side, guide me! Angel, my soul was weak - forgive me ...enter at last, Master!"

Chills ran down Eve's spine as his smooth voice filled her ears.

"Flattering child you shall know me, see why in shadow I hide! Look at your face in the mirror - I am there inside!"

Following his command, Eveline looked to the mirror. She couldn't believe her eyes.

He was there.

She felt herself entering into the same trance Christine had been in in the movie.

"Angel of Music, guide, and guardian! Grant to me your glory! Angel of Music, hide no longer. Come to me strange Angel!"

Her lips parted slightly as he sang the same words she heard before she fell into this world.

"I am your Angel of Music. Come to me, Angel of Music."

Just as she had when she entered this world, she felt as though she simply walked through the mirror. It didn't feel like water this time, however. No. Simply air.

"I am your Angel of Music. Come to me, Angel of Music."

Without zero hesitation, Eveline placed her hand in his gloved one.

He was there.

The Phantom of the Opera.