Chapter 10: Masquerade

Eveline never lost her smile as she made her way back to the Prima Donna dressing room.

She was so happy that she could alter the course of the story this way. She prayed that Erik heard her words, that he wasn't currently crying on the rooftop.

She placed the rose she still held in a vase with the previous one she received from Erik.

However, out of the corner of her eye, she saw another resting on the table she found the other two on. Beside it on the table was a note, sealed with a red wax skull.

Eve tilted her head as she walked over to the table, picking up the note and opening it carefully.

My dearest, Eveline,

I regret to inform you that you will not be hearing from me for some time. I wish to focus on my work for a period. This is through no fault of your own, my angel. I will return to you. I swear.

Your adoring Angel of Music,
Erik D.

Eveline's smile turned brighter if that was even possible.

He signed his name.

He trusted her enough to tell her his true name.

She couldn't help but let out a squeal, twirling around like a giddy schoolgirl, the note pressed against her chest.

She fell backward onto the bed in the room, gazing at the ceiling, her smile refusing to drop.

The girl was on Cloud 9.

~~~~

It was now New Year's Eve. The night of the masquerade ball.

With all the time that had past while she was in this world, Eveline started to believe this was reality more and more.

Days felt like real days.

Weeks felt like real weeks.

And months felt like real months.

She was in more performances at the Opera House, just like any normal ballerina would be.

But she felt like something was missing.

Well... scratch that. She knew what was missing.

It was Erik.

Eveline looked over to the vase she had brought into the dormitory from the Prima Donna dressing room. It held the three red roses, their petals slightly wilted from time. The note she received that night was tucked away in her dresser, hidden under some of her clothes to keep it from being found.

The only people she told about the note were Madame Giry and her sister.

She told Madame Giry that Erik found to be gone for a while, and when the older woman asked how she knew that name, Eveline showed her the note.

As she read the note, Madame's lips lifted into a soft smile.

"He truly cares for you, my dear," she said as she handed the note back to Eveline.

The redhead blushed as she looked back over the words on the parchment.

"And it seems you care for him as well," Madame spoke once more, a smirk on her face as she observed the love-sick smile on Eveline's face.

Biting her bottom lip, Eve nodded, "He's a troubled soul, but I can't hold it against him. All he wants is someone to love him the way he loves them."

Madame Giry wrapped an arm around the girl's shoulders, "And are you willing to be that for him?"