Chapter 14: Eveline, I Love You

Eveline slowly pulled her face away from the man holding her. Her smile dropped at the tears running down his cheeks.

He continued to sob, happiness, guilt, and contemplation in his eyes.

"Track down this murder! He must be found!"

He stepped away from Eveline, "Take her - forget me - forget all of this..."

Christine rushed to her fiancé, untying him from the gate as Eveline simply watched Erik, tears now flowing down her cheeks.

"Leave me alone - forget all you've seen... Go now - don't let them find you! Take the boat - swear to me, never to tell the secret you know of the angel in hell - go... go now... go now and leave me!"

The poor girl looked between the direction of the man she loved, and her sister and future brother-in-law."

Christine turned to Eveline, her eyes widened as she understood what her sister was going to do, "Eveline, please—"

Eveline just smiled at the younger girl, "You said it yourself. I'm in love. And I would do anything for him."

Christine shook her head as she ran through the water to her sister, hugging her tightly and whispering in her ear, "Promise me you'll write. I don't know how I'd survive if I lost you forever too."

"Every single day. I swear," Eveline said softly, squeezing the brunette tightly.

As the two parted, Eveline looked over at Raoul, who began to speak, "Eve, you can't seriously be considering—"

"Take care of her for me," Eveline interrupted, a smile on her face before glaring at him, "You hurt her, and I swear you won't live to see another day."

Raoul simply sighed, before rushing to hug his childhood friend, "Take care of yourself, Little Eevee."

Eveline hugged him back, "I always do, Raoul."

They pulled away, and Eveline leaned forward to kiss Christine on the cheek, "I love you, little sister."

Christine sniffled, wiping a tear from her cheek, "I love you too, big sister."

Eveline sent a final smile to her family, before turning and rushing in the direction Erik went.

She saw him sitting on the swan bed, the papier-mâché monkey music box sitting in front of him, its tiny cymbals clanging together as it softly played a melody.

"Masquerade... Paper faces on parade... Masquerade... Hide your face, so the world will never find you..."

Sensing her presence, Erik looked up at Eveline, singing in a broken voice.

"Eveline, I love you..."

Eve smiled at him, slowly taking steps towards him.

"Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime..."

Erik's eyes widened as she sang softly, his voice no louder than a whisper.

"Say the word, and I will follow you..."

Eveline sat beside him on the swan bed, placing her hands on his cheeks, his resting on her wrists.

"Share each day with me... each night... each morning..."

A sob broke past Erik's lips as they formed into a smile. He leaned forward, placing his forehead on hers.

"Anywhere you go, let me go too..."

They maintained eye contact as they smiled at each other, their lips a mere inch apart as they sang in unison.

"Love me. That's all I ask of you..."

They both closed the distance, their lips meeting in a passionate and meaningful kiss. Eveline wrapped her arms around Erik's neck as he moved his to wrap around her waist.

After a few seconds, they pulled away, bright smiles on their faces.

"I love you, Erik," Eveline whispered, not moving her face from in front of his.

Erik felt his heart leap as he pressed another kiss to his angel's lips, "And I love you, Eveline. More than anything."

Their moment was broken by the sound of the mob approaching.

"We have to get out of here," Eveline said quickly, grabbing Erik's hands as they stood, "I won't let them find you."

Erik stared at Eveline like she was the most gorgeous thing in the universe. Because, to him, she was.

"You alone could make my song take flight."

Eveline turned back to him, a loving smile on her face. Erik lifted a hand to her cheek which she nuzzled into, listening to his soft voice.

"You've helped me make the music of the night."