Chapter 13: The Final Lair

Eveline held Erik's hand tightly, not resisting as the pair went deeper below the Opera House.

"Down once more to the dungeons of my black despair! Down we plunge to the prison of my mind! Down that path into darkness, deep as hell!"

~~~~

"Track down this murderer! He must be found! Track down this murderer! He must be found!"

~~~~

Erik lifted Eveline out of the boat.

"Hounded out by everyone! Met with hatred everywhere! No kind words from anyone! No compassion anywhere!"

"Eveline..."

His pale blue eyes met hers. They were filled with rage but also fear. Fear that she would reject him now that she knew the truth.

"Did you know?" he asked, his voice a broken whisper.

"Erik, I never would have let them do this if I knew," Eveline said, placing her hands on his forearms, "The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you."

He let out a shaky sigh, looking away from her. He believed her. Of course, he did. Why would his little angel lie to him?

"Have you gorged yourself, at last, in your lust for blood?"

He turned to her again, his heart breaking at the sorrow and slight bit of fear in Eveline's voice.

"Am I now to be prey to your lust for flesh?"

Their eyes met, and Erik's heart ached as he gazed into the hazel eyes he adored so much.

"That fate which condemns me to wallow in blood...has also denied me the joys of the flesh..."

Eveline turned from him as he reached to caress her cheek, a mournful sigh escaping his lips as he touch a strand of her auburn hair.

"This face - the infection which poisons our love..."

Eveline looked at him again, her eyes wide with disbelief.

"This face which earned a mother's fear and loathing... A mask, my first unfeeling scrap of clothing..."

Erik looked at the nearby mannequin, and he removed the veil from it. He walked up behind her placing the veil on her head before turning her to face him.

"Pity comes too late - turn around and face your fate..."

His voice broke with sorrow as he gestured to the deformed side of his face.

"An eternity of this before your eyes!"

Eveline removed the veil from her head, walked to a covered mirror, and removed the canvas in front of it as she turned back to Erik.

"This haunted face holds no horror for me now..."

"It never has and it never will," she said quietly as she made her way in front of him, "Your appearance does not define you, Erik. It's only your deeds."

Erik looked to the ground in shame, but their moment was interrupted by a splashing noise.

"Wait! I think, my dear, we have a guest."

Eveline looked over to the gate, only to be met with her sister and Raoul.

"Christine! Raoul!" Eveline exclaimed.

"Sir, this is indeed an unparalleled delight! I had rather hoped that you would come. And now, my wish comes true - you have truly made my night!"