Chapter 6: The Phantom of The Opera

The Phantom tentatively wrapped his fingers around Eveline's hand, before gently pulling her down the hallway.

Just as it was in the movie, the corridor was lined with candles, seemingly held by golden hands which moved out of the way for them to pass.

He looked back at Eveline, his pale blue eyes meeting her hazel ones.

Familiar music ran through Eveline's mind, and she couldn't help herself when she started to sing.

"In sleep, he sang to me. In dreams, he came. That voice which calls to me and speaks my name. And do I dream again for now I find, the Phantom of the Opera is there, inside my mind."

Erik had grabbed a torch, continuously looking back at Eveline who couldn't avert her eyes from him, even as they went down some stairs which took them deeper under the opera house.

As they walked down the steps to a black horse, Eveline couldn't believe her ears when Erik began to sing.

"Sing once again with me, our strange duet. My power over you grows stronger yet."

Flustered at his attention, Eveline glanced behind her, seeing that they were further from the Prima Donna dressing room than she expected.

"And though you turn from me to glance behind. The Phantom of the Opera is there, inside your mind."

Not letting go of Erik's hand, Eveline gently caressed the snout of the beautiful horse, not noticing the soft look in Erik's eyes as he gazed at her.

She turned back to the man, who gently grasped her waist, lifting her onto the horse's saddle.

Eveline fought to steady herself as Erik began to lead the horse. Not only had it been ages since she had ridden a horse, she had never ridden sidesaddle before.

Once she felt balanced, she began to sing again.

"Those who have seen your face draw back in fear... I am the mask you wear..."

"It's me they hear..."

"Your/My spirit and my/your voice, in one combined: the Phantom of the Opera is there - inside your/my mind..."

The pair finally made it down to a small boat. Erik gripped Eveline's waist once more, helping her down from the horse and holding her hand to aid her into the boat.

As the music picked up once more once Erik started to row the boat, Eveline was thankful to get to sing her favorite verse of this song that, sadly, wasn't in the movie.

Erik's voice broke her from her thoughts.

"In all your fantasies, you always knew. That man and mystery..."

"Were both in you..."

"And in this labyrinth where night is blind. The Phantom of the Opera is there inside my/your mind."

Familiar statues reached Eveline's sight and she realized they were nearing their location.

"He's there, the Phantom of the Opera."

Eveline began to vocalize as Christine did in the movie. This part worried her. She wasn't sure if she could hit the final note.

"Sing, my Angel of Music."

Eveline watched the iron gate come into view as her voice went an octave higher.

"Sing, my angel."

Eveline watched the candles rise from the water, their wicks lighting as they made contact with the air. She continued to sing higher.

"Sing for me!"