Chapter 11: Help Us Say Goodbye

Eveline lay in her bed, wide awake.

She couldn't sleep. How could anyone in this Opera House sleep after the events of the night?

Her thoughts were interrupted as Christine walked up beside her bed and sat down.

Eveline looked at the younger girl, "Can't sleep either?"

Christine simply shook her head, and Eveline sat up, bringing her into a hug, "Why don't we go visit Father?"

Christine said nothing but nodded, and the pair quietly made their way past a sleeping Raoul outside their door.

Christine gave a pouch of coins to the man operating the carriage, asking him to take them to the cemetery. Eve grabbed two black cloaks from the nearby costume rack, neither noticing someone knocking the driver unconscious and moving to the seat at the front of the carriage.

Eveline gave one of the cloaks to Christine as the younger girl picked up a bouquet of roses, and helped her into the carriage before climbing in herself.

"To our father's grave, please," Eveline asked politely, looking up at the driver and noticing the right side of his face was covered.

Before she could get a better look, he turned away, clapping the reigns as they began their journey.

Eveline wrapped her arms around Christine and pulled her to her chest, gently running her fingers through the younger girl's curly brown locks. Eve placed a kiss on the top of her forehead, before resting her cheek on Christine's head, singing softly.

"In sleep, he sang to me. In dreams, he came. That voice which calls to me...and speaks my name."

Once they arrived at their destination, the driver stepped down from his seat, holding out a hand to help Eveline out of the carriage.

"Thank you," Eveline said, staring into the driver's pale blue eyes that she recognized so well.

The redhead turned, helping her sister out of the carriage, before the pair made their way into the cemetery, the sound of the horses returning in the direction of the Opera House.

Wrapping an arm around Christine's sounders as the younger wrapped an arm around her waist, Eveline spoke in a melancholy tone, "Little Eevee thought of everything and nothing. Her father promised her and her sister that he would send them the Angel of Music... Their father promised them..."

Christine's grip on Eveline tightened as she whispered, "Their father promised them."

"You were once our one companion...you were all that mattered. You were once a friend and father - then our world was shattered..."

As memories of her life in this world surfaced, Eveline had seen many involving Gustave Daae. He was the father figure she never had, as caring and attentive as any father should be.

"Wishing you were somehow here again... Wishing you were somehow near... Sometimes it seemed, if we just dreamed, somehow you would be here..."

The sisters didn't let go of each other as they wandered through the cemetery, the angelic sculptures seeming to cry from the thin layer of melting snow that covered them.

"Wishing we could hear your voice again... knowing that we never would... Dreaming of you won't help us to do all that you dreamed we could..."

The cold fog and flurries around them made the girls hold each other closer. Both were so lost in their grief and emotions that they didn't notice a tall dark figure watching them.

"Passing bells and sculpted angels cold and monumental seem, for you, the wrong companions - you were warm and gentle."

Erik couldn't help but listen to the mournful song of his two little angels. He still cared for Christine, but it wasn't the same sort of love he felt for her sister. He felt his heart break at the tears that he saw collecting in Eveline's eyes. How he wished he could rush out of his hiding place and comfort her.