Chapter 4: Angel of Music

Christine grabbed Eveline's hand, ushering her down into the chapel underneath the Opera House.

Both settled down on the concrete ground, Eveline's dress spreading around her.

Christine squealed excitedly, gripping her sister in a tight hug, "You did so well, Eve! I'm so proud of you."

Eve chuckled, returning the hug, "Thank you, Christine."

The brunette released her hold on the older girl, looking at the portrait of their father, her smile turning melancholy, "Father would be too."

Eve placed her hand on Christine's shoulder, reaching for a lighting stick and setting it ablaze. She handed it to Christine, who lit a candle before putting the stick back in the sand container.

"Brava. Brava. Bravissima!"

Eveline looked up at the voice. It was Erik. She squeezed Christine's hand, who returned the gesture.

"It seems our Angel is pleased with your performance as well," Christine whispered, a bright smile on her face.

"Christine...Eveline."

The girls heard Meg's voice, accompanied by her footsteps, before Erik's voice echoed her words.

"Christine...Eveline."

The sister looked to the entrance of the chapel as Meg entered, moving to sit beside them.

"Where in the world have you been hiding? Eveline, you were perfect!"

Eveline smiled bashfully, placing a hand over the blonde's on her shoulder.

"I only wish I knew your secret. Who is your great tutor?"

Eve looked to Christine, gesturing for her to tell the story.

"Meg...When your mother brought us here to live, whenever we'd come down here alone two light a candle for our father, a voice from above would sing to us," said Christine.

Eveline wrapped an arm around Christine's waist, continuing the story, "And in my dreams, he was always there. You see...when our father lay dying he told us we would be protected by an angel. An Angel of Music."

Meg looked skeptical as she asked the sisters, "Girls, do you believe? Do you think the spirit of your father is coaching you, Eveline?"

"Who else Meg? Who?" Eveline said with a smile, remembering the lines perfectly before she began to sing softly.

"Father once spoke of an angel. I used to dream he'd appear. Now as I sing I can sense him. And I know he's here,"

Christine took her hand as Eveline looked around the room while they stood, still singing by herself.

"Here in this room, he calls me softly. Somewhere inside hiding. Somehow I know he's always with me. He, the unseen genius..."

Meg looked concerned as she took the free hand of both girls.

"Eveline, you must have been dreaming. Stories like this can't come true. Both you are talking in riddles and it's not like you."

The blonde ballerina led the pair backstage as the sisters sang together.

"Angel of Music. Guide and Guardian! Grant to me your glory,"

"Who is this Angel? This..."

"Angel of music, hide no longer. Secret and strange Angel."

Eveline smiled softly at the thought of Erik, while Christine began to look frightened.

"He's with me even now."

Meg looked at Christine worriedly and took both her hands.

"You're hands are cold."

Eveline looked at Christine, seeing the girl pale considerably.

"All around me."

Eve tilted Christine's face towards her by her chin.

"Your face, Christine. It's white."

Christine grasped her sister's forearms gently and Eveline could feel her hands trembling.

"It frightens me."

Meg and Eveline both wrapped an arm around Christine as they sang to comfort her.

"Don't be frightened."

Madame Giry suddenly appeared before the girls, "Eveline, Christine, come with me."