Chapter 3: Think of Me

Eveline's eyes widened at Madame Giry's words. What was happening? Christine was supposed to sing in Carlotta's place!

Eveline looked to the younger ballerina, "Christine, I can't do this! You should."

Christine looked at her sister like she was insane, "Eve, we've talked about it this. I'm the dancer and you're the singer. This is a fantastic opportunity for you. I refuse to take that away from you."

Eve turned her gaze to Madame Giry, eyes wide and pleading, but the older woman simply smiled.

"What, a chorus girl? Don't be silly," Andre scoffed, and Eveline bowed her head. She knew what he was going to say, but it still hurt.

Both Meg and Christine wrapped an arm around her waist, trying to comfort her.

"She has been taking lessons from a great teacher," Madame Giry assured, smiling warmly at the redhead.

"Who?"

Brushing a lock of hair behind her ear, Eveline went with the normal line, choosing not to reveal Erik's name, "I don't know his name, Monsieur."

"Let her sing for you, monsieur," Madame Giry interjected, "She has been well taught."

Andre, desperate for the show to go on, agreed, "Alright."

Eve looked nervously between her three companions, all of whom ushered her forward as Andre continued to call out to her, "Come on, don't be shy... Come on. Come along. Just, just..."

"From the beginning of the aria then, mam'selle," Reyer stated, earning a nervous nod from Eveline.

As the music began to play, Firmin quietly spoke to Andre, "Andre, this is doing nothing for my nerves."

"Oh, she's very pretty," Andre assured.

Once Eveline heard her cue, she began to sing.

"Think of me, think of me fondly, when we've said goodbye. Remember me once in a while - please promise me you'll try."

Eve was so focused on singing, she didn't even notice that the entire cast and crew were watching her now, in awe of her soft and beautiful voice.

"When you find that, once again, you long to take your heart back and be free."

Eveline nervously looked back to Madame Giry, who smile softly, gesturing for her to continue.

"If you ever find a moment, spare a thought for me..."

As Eve finished singing the last note, she let out a shaky breath before looking up to meet the eyes of Andre and Firmin.

Both men's mouths were slightly agape. They blinked a few times before looking at each other with bright smiles.

"Andre, I think we have our new star," Firmin exclaimed, and the crowd began to applaud.

An astonished smile bloomed on Eveline's lips as Meg and Christine rushed to embrace her.

She couldn't believe it.

She was going to perform at the Opera Populaire.

A third arm gently wrapped around Eve's shoulder, making her look up at Madame Giry, who was looking at her with a proud smile.

"Come. Let me show you to your new dressing room," she said softly, leading her and her sister to the Prima Donna dressing room.

The room was completely covered in pink, wall to wall, ceiling to floor. Eveline's eyes stopped on the large floor-length mirror. She smiled softly, a part of her praying Erik was proud of her.

Madame Giry walked over to the closet, opened it up, and took out a dress. Eve gasped, it was the dress from the movie. She walked over to Madame, gently caressing the sparkling white material.

Madame and Christine helped the girl into the dress before Madame had to leave to make sure the ballet dancers were ready. Christine stayed with Eveline, helping her do her hair and makeup.

"Eve, you look so lovely. Father would be so proud of you," Christine smiled at her sister's reflection as she placed sparkly stars in her auburn hair.

Eveline returned her smile, "Thank you, sister. I hope he would be."

"Not only Father, but our Angel of Music as well," Christine commented, finishing up placing stars in her sister's hair.

Eveline looked up at Christine, "Have you heard from the angel, Christine?"

Christine sat down next to Eve, "Yes, I have. He tells me stories sometimes, even sings me to sleep every once in a while."

Eve tilted her head, "Doesn't he give you lessons?"

Christine raised a brow at her sister, "No. I told you before, you're the only one he gives lessons to. You may think my voice is nice, but it's nothing compared to yours."

Eveline was about to disagree, but was interrupted by a knock on the dressing room door, "30 minutes till curtain, Miss Daae."

Christine grabbed Eveline's hand with a bright smile, "Come. It's time for your big debut."

As the younger brunette pulled her out of the room, the hairs on the back of Eveline's neck stood on end. Someone was watching her again.

Right before the door closed behind her, Eve looked back at the large mirror, and she could have sworn she saw a flash of white.

The performance was going smoothly, but Eveline couldn't help but feel a bit of stage fright. She had never experienced that before, but she knew that Erik was listening, which made her all the more anxious.

"We never said our love was evergreen or as unchanging as the sea - but if you can still remember stop and think of me . . ."

"Think of all the things we've shared and seen - don't think about the things which might have been . . ."

"Think of me, think of me waking, silent and resigned. Imagine me, trying too hard to put you from my mind."

"Recall those days, look back on all those times, think of the things we'll never do - there will never be a day when I won't think of you..."

The audience applauded, and Eveline swore she could hear Raoul singing the next line of the song from the musical.

"Can it be? Can it be Eveline?"

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Raoul stand and clap, "Bravo!"

He rushed out of the box as Eveline waited for her next cue.

"Flowers fade, the fruits of summer fade. They have their seasons. So do we. But please promise me that sometimes you will think..."

Eveline took a deep breath before beginning the ending cadenza.

"...of me!"

The crowd burst into applause, people rising to give the girl a standing ovation.

"Brava! Magnifica! Stupenda!" Andre shouted from his and Firmin's box.

Eveline curtsied deeply, before making eye contact with Reyer in the orchestra pit, seeing him mouth 'Bravo.'

She smiled at him, nodding in thanks as she beamed out to the still applauding audience.

'This is a dream come true,' Eveline thought to herself, 'I hope I did not disappoint Erik.'