Chapter 9.5: No One Would Listen

Erik knelt beside the lake under the Opera House.

He was still in shock from what he had heard Eveline say on the rooftop. He couldn't believe that she cared for him.

She was the only one who would listen.

"No one would listen. No one but her. Heard as the outcast hears."

He ran his hand over the surface of the water, ruffling his reflection. She said he was beautiful. He had no idea anyone could think of him in that way.

"Shamed into solitude. Shunned by the multitude. I learned to listen. In my dark, my heart heard music."

He stood, turning to gaze upon his lair.

"I long to teach the world. Rise up and reach the world. No one would listen. I alone could hear the music."

His eyes landed on drawings hanging from the curtains. Drawings that captured sparkling hazel eyes. Smiles that could brighten up a gloomy day. Auburn locks seemed to rival the flames of the candles around him.

"Then, at last, a voice in the gloom...seemed to cry "I hear you: I hear your fears...your torment and your tears.""

He averted his gaze from the portraits of his love, walking to a small table and picking up another red rose. He loved how happy she seemed whenever she received one of these roses. He would shower her with roses till the day she asked him to stop.

He would do anything for Eveline Daae.

"She saw my loneliness... shared in my emptiness. No one would listen. No one but her. Heard as the outcast hears."

He walked over to his diorama of the Opera House above, sitting in the chair in front of it and holding the rose to his face, letting his half-covered lips graze the petals.

"No one would listen. No one but her. Heard as the outcast hears."

He placed the rose on the table beside him, leaning his arms on his knees and he clasped his hands in front of his face.

A/N: I couldn't help it. I love this song and it should have been in the movie. Hope you enjoyed the lil bonus chappy. ☺️