9; Judge v. Jury

Track 9; Pressure Love by Safario, Lokoy, & Jimi Somewhere

◥◤ ☼ ◢◣ ☼ ◥◤ ☼ ◢◣ ☼ ◥◤

Your drive back to Tengen's was uneventful, yet nerve wracking. You weren't sure what to expect when you got there. Your mind was running wild with the possibilities of what he would put you through, and it would've been worse had you not been able to hear Kyoujurou's car behind you. It was reassuring to know that he'd essentially claimed dibs on you. So if Tengen got too far out of line, hopefully he'd have your back. Right?

Needless to say, you felt your heart begin to quicken its pace when the gated entry to the neighborhood swung open. You didn't need to stop by the call box to dial Uzui's number—he probably knew you were nearby thanks to the sound of the bike. Your heart was beating fast enough to deafen your edging-on-panic thoughts when you rounded the corner of his street. A roll of nervous nausea pushed through your system when you saw the front legs of a pool lounger placed in the front yard.

On it sat Twinkle Toes himself. His legs were kicked up and he had an oversized ice coffee in his left hand, his phone in his right. To your displeasure, the rest of your friends were awake and doing their own things. Shinobu, Mitsuri, Oboro, and Sanemi were hanging out in their own chairs around him; soaking up the morning sunshine. Sanemi had his phone in his face, holding it horizontally. He was probably playing that racing game he likes too much. The other three were talking. Gyomei's truck was missing from the driveway so you assumed that he had gone home; Giyu was the only one you couldn't locate.

Tengen was on his feet and racing to you with his coffee in hand by the time you were pulling into the driveway, Kyoujurou on your tail. He parked his Mustang behind Shinobu's SUV, where it had been originally before you decided to make a quick get away just over 40 minutes ago. The sound of surprise you were about to make was held back by puffed cheeks when you frantically kicked the kickstand out to prop up the bike. You hadn't even managed to turn it off before you dived off of it to avoid his incoming hands.

You tucked and rolled, jumping to your feet and beelining to your friends still in the front yard. Mitsuri was laughing already, trying to contain her amusement by clapping a hand over her mouth. The grass crunches behind you. You shriek and dive again, this time sliding on your belly across the grass. Somehow, you had enough forward inertia to slip underneath Sanemi's lounger. Your helmet bumps his ass from the underside of the chair; He doesn't bat an eye when you scramble out from the other side.

He does yell at Tengen for almost mowing him over, though.

Mitsuri can hardly breathe when you jump to your feet and sprint for the road.

"STAY AWAY FROM ME!" Your voice is muffled, but it's easily heard.

"YOU STOLE MY BIKE!" Tengen doesn't seem angry, which is probably the scariest part; he's laughing.

"SHINOBU CALL THE POLICE!"

"YEAH; ON HER FOR BEING A THIEF!"

At this point, he's chasing you in between the cars. You can barely see beyond the condensation building across the visor of the helmet. You hip check Sanemi's Mazda when your hands fly to the buckle under your chin. Tengen's fingers nearly hook around the belt loop of your jeans. You swing one of your legs back like a horse to cow-kick him in self-defense. The heel of your Nike digs into the soft spot in his thigh. He nearly crumples over. You let out a short, successful laugh when you finally pop the helmet off of your head and hold it up victoriously. You deposit it on the hood of whatever car you're closest to.

Tengen's back on his feet again. Without a second of hesitation he starts prepping his arm—the one holding the coffee. But, he thinks twice about it and decides not to. Besides, if you go around the backside of Kyoujurou's Mustang, he can intercept you. Now on opposite sides of the SUV, he makes eye contact with you when you stop at the passenger side. Him by the driver's door, can practically see you over the top of it if he truly tried, but he bends over a bit to give you a challenging wave through the window.