14; Wrong Orphan

warnings; this chapter has a description of a gang rape attempt

Track 14; People disappear here by Halsey

◥◤ ☼ ◢◣ ☼ ◥◤ ☼ ◢◣ ☼ ◥◤

Finding Douma outside of work left you feeling like you'd been thrown into a whirlpool. You weren't sure why you felt that way, seeing that it was inevitable. You'd probably seen him before but of course never acknowledged him because you didn't know him. The conversation was short and sweet. He said that he had a lecture to get to—he was a student at the local community college. He also mentioned that he wouldn't be at work when he asked if you had a shift. Today he learned that you were a senior in high school. It was difficult to rip your eyes away from his tall frame as he left the library. He didn't leave without giving you his number. You aren't knocked back into reality until you feel your best friend bump into your shoulder with his own.

You turn to face the redhead. His lips are pursed and he has an eyebrow cocked. "That was the strangest interaction I've ever experienced with you."

"Strange?" You echo him, deciding to dart your eyes around the library instead of at him. You pivot on your toes and begin to head further in. "I don't know what you mean by that."

Akaza rolls his eyes. Of course you were playing ignorant—what else should he have expected? A sigh escapes his lips and he crosses his arms over his chest. "Don't you think we should head to school?"

"I don't know what that is either." You quip gently, turning right down the science fiction aisle. You weren't much of a reader—you found difficulty with the words in most books—letters would swap places with each other. "What are your plans for the day?" You ask him like he didn't ditch school to track you down.

He shrugs his shoulders, golden eyes scanning over the array of titles on the shelves. "Don't have any—what about you?"

"I have to work a shift tonight, otherwise just picking up the terrorist from school like usual." You stop at a collection of lounge chairs and sofas, dropping your backpack next to one before throwing yourself in the armchair. Akaza does the same in the one closest to you.

"So you're just going to play that ocarina on the bench all day?" He questions you, removing his gloves and stuffing them into the mesh pocket of his bag.

"Yeah? What about it? I told you that I'm trying to get out of this hellhole." You glower at him—green meets gold. Even if you know he isn't judging, it still rubs you the wrong way whenever he makes comments about it.

"I know." His tone is slightly softer, but his eyes haven't left yours. "I wish you'd let me help you with that. I don't get why you're so against us getting an apartment together or whatever? What about college?"

"College?" You point a finger at your mouth and gag. "I'd rather sell myself on the corner than sit through more torture."

He bites back the smile at your reaction to his suggestion—completely ignoring the topic of an apartment. You and him had been thick as thieves for the last few years. He knew how chaotic your younger brother could be but he oftentimes enjoyed the interactions. Inosuke was always decently respectful to him; probably because you threatened him if he did otherwise. Akaza really wouldn't mind sharing a place with you, it was obvious that you were self-sustaining and responsible.

"Maybe one day I'll get you to change your mind."

"Yeah, yeah, keep slaving away over your schoolwork." You sneer at him halfheartedly when he pulls out his binder. You flip open your notebook—it's full of random short poems and doodles—the perfect way to pass the time.