16; Pancakes

Track 16; You Me And The Silence by LOVA

◥◤ ☼ ◢◣ ☼ ◥◤ ☼ ◢◣ ☼ ◥◤

"So where do you want to go?"

His question nearly falls deaf on your ears. You can already feel yourself beginning to sweat nervously, evident by the bead slipping down the side of your face despite the air conditioning blasting from the vents of his classic car. You subtly take a deep breath to reorganize your thoughts. You weren't even sure if you had an appetite after discovering that your car had been stolen but eating was better than running on fumes.

"There's a small hole-in-the-wall diner I like to go to." You begin, drifting your viridescent eyes out the window to watch the palm trees and cars go by. You rub the palms of your hands against your thighs to remain grounded. "It's not too far from here."

"I'm down to check it out." You turn just in time to see him flash you a prize-winning smile.

You feel like you're melting and you turn away quickly, trying to hide the furious heat that covers your cheeks. "T-turn left at the next light."

You give him directions for the next few minutes. He appreciated you speaking up in advance instead of at the last second. It gave him enough time to safely maneuver around the ongoing chaotic traffic and find the place easily. When you arrive at the Strand, a walking strip along the beach, the sun is warm and glittering off of the aquatic horizon. You're speechless at his ability to parallel park perfectly on the first try. It took you at least three times and a sacrifice to god to even make one attempt at not hitting either car.

This man must be god's favorite.

"Wait here." He says after he turns off the engine and removes his seatbelt. You unbuckle yourself and watch with doe-like eyes when he beelines straight for your door and opens it for you.

You don't even know if your legs will cooperate enough to let you get out of the vehicle. You hope you don't have a dumb look on your face when you crawl out. You trip over the curb but are quick enough to save yourself from face planting. You give him a small, nervous smile. "Thank you."

"Of course." He responds calmly.

You don't realize that your legs are on autopilot as they guide you to the front door of the diner. Peggy's Corner was just like you said: a hole in the wall. It was crammed on the corner of a strip mall with a nail salon on the opposite side. There was a faded red awning covering some outdoor seats and a blinking open sign in the window. Just as your fingers brush the handle, his voice snaps you out of your hypnosis.

"Don't touch that."

Your hand flies back like the door shocked you, only to turn and find him reaching over you to open it. As it swings open, a blast of cool air smacks you. He only smiles and nudges you gently with a hand on your lower back.

"Ladies shouldn't open doors for themselves."

You're going to start foaming at the mouth if he continues talking to you like this.

Somehow, your brain rationalizes the ability to speak. You do so without thinking. "So you think I'm a lady?"

A puzzled look crossed his face for a split second and he furrowed his eyebrows. "Are....you not a woman?"

Before you can explain the joke to him, a waitress passes you with two menus in her hand. "Hi! Welcome to Peggy's Corner, my name is Trisha. Is it just the two of you today?" She only motions to the sign in front of you before bustling off. "I'll be with you shortly!"