13; Foresight

Track 13; Drama Queen by Elliot Lee

◥◤ ☼ ◢◣ ☼ ◥◤ ☼ ◢◣ ☼ ◥◤

A few hours later, The Weeknd's Blinding Lights woke you up out of your slumber. It was your phone alarm. The heavy sigh that escaped your lips was one of exhaustion when your eyes rolled to the clock. It's 6:45 AM. You pull your pillow over your face when you flip onto your back and groan into it. You didn't want to go into work. You prayed to whatever deity existed above that you wouldn't have to replace a line cook in the kitchen and would be able to do your role properly.

You fumble to silence the alarm and sit up despite every ounce of your being willing you to procrastinate a little longer. You had slept surprisingly well after your nightmare and decided not to dwell on it for too long. You didn't want to bring up any bad memories, after all. You swing your feet off the edge and yawn. You're thirsty, so you chug the plastic water bottle on your nightstand until it's empty. For some reason that wakes you up a bit more, so you rub at the skin under your eyes for a second before rising to your feet. You sway for a moment when your sense of balance registers that you're standing upright and wander over to the closet. Compared to the heap of clothes that amassed at the bottom of said storage area, hanging from the shelf roughly eye-level with you is a pair of slacks that you'd folded neatly to hang so it didn't create any creases.

You fetch it out and pull them up over your hips, doing up the discreet zipper and clasp placed just off-center from your navel and tucked a white tank-top into the waistband. You finished it with a sheer white blouse, only a cover until you got into work. The heat was unsurprisingly unbearable even for this hour of the morning, it would only get hotter as the day went on thanks to the infamous California sun. It was one of the only things that made you miss Chicago's mild but humid summers. You'd developed a tolerance to that weather compared to the heatstroke inducing sun with no clouds. The only reprieve from the high temperatures were buildings with air conditioning or the ocean, but that just increased your risk of a sunburn after all.

You are quiet when you open the door to the hallway, poking your head out to overhear Inosuke snoring on the couch where he had been when you woke up earlier that morning. You didn't step out until you'd done up your hair like usual and shut the door behind you. A glance at the microwave panel in the kitchen informs you that it's 7:20 AM. That's probably the fastest you've gotten ready for work since...

Since...

You snatch the pillow out from under Inosuke's head and bring it down repeatedly on his face. He doesn't begin to move until shortly after the third hit. His emerald eyes flash open just before you bring the pillow down for a fifth time. His hands reach back behind him to use it as a weapon but his face drops when he realizes you already took it from him. He gives you a grumpy, half-asleep scowl and swipes at you pathetically. You smack him a final time before attempting to suffocate him with said pillow. He struggles from underneath you for about five seconds before you let up.

"I'M AWAKE, STOP IT!" He whines, kicking at you when you step away from his attacks.

"You gotta be up for when Tanjiro and Nezuko get here." You throw the pillow back at his face, hitting him square between the eyes with the corner of it. "I'm going to work."

"This sucks." He complains with a heavy sigh when you turn away. Despite his failed attempt at a tantrum, he rises to his feet and wanders into the kitchen to make himself some food. You shake your head and wrap your arm around his throat to give him a half-chokehold half-hug before wandering out the door.

He sticks his tongue out at you and flips you off when you shut the door. Silently, you return the finger before closing it entirely. You can faintly hear him muttering to himself under his breath about you when you remove the apartment key from your key ring and lock the deadbolt and door knob. You stretch up onto your toes and place it on top of the door frame where you know Tanjiro could find it in case Inosuke passed out again.