Chapter 11 First Father-daughter day

*next morning*

Dazai was awoken by the smell of fried eggs. This surprised him, since he had not been woken up like this for six years.

This reminded him of how Chuuya had always made him breakfast and how much he missed him. He had never suspected that this would happen. If he had known that Chuuya was pregnant, he would never have left him alone, but that's exactly what he had done. He himself did not know exactly why he had not said anything to Chuuya or asked him to accompany him. But now he had learned that he had a daughter and he would do everything to ensure that her family was reunited, but he knew exactly that Chuuya wouldn't forgive him so easily.

But for now he wanted to get to know his daughter better. So he got up from the sofa and walked towards the kitchen.

When the two came home last night, Daira was already asleep, which is why Dazai had put her in his bed. He himself had slept on the couch in the living room.

When he entered the kitchen, he looked at a perfectly laid table and at the stove Daira stood on a podium and fried eggs. Dazai was surprised that she could cook.
He cleared his throat briefly, then said, "Good morning. I hope you slept well." Daira turned to him and smiled at him, "Good morning. Yes I have. Thank you for letting me sleep here. Can we go visit mom again today. Has she woken up yet?"

Dazai's look became sad for a moment, then he said, "Of course we can visit your mother.  But I'd like to talk to you first." "Sure ," Daira replied, "breakfast is ready in a minute." So Dazai sat down at the table, then asked curiously, "Did your mom teach you how to cook?"Daira looked at him briefly, then said, "No, I taught myself. Mom always worked long hours and rarely had time to cook." She took the pan with the finished eggs from the stove and came over to the table. After dinner, Dazai cleared the table as Daira got ready to visit her mother. Dazai struggled with himself for a moment, then he called her to him and they sat down on the sofa. He cleared his throat, then said, "Your mom told you your dad was still alive. What would you say if I told you that I am your father?" He avoided looking at Daira. Shame and fear of the answer overcame him. Then she replied, "It's you, isn't it? You're my daddy?"

He could only nod.

Daira had a thoughtful face then she just said, "Can we go visit mom now? I don't really know you yet, so I can't really say what I would answer. Can we try to get to know each other better first, but you don't really look mean and I'm sure mom will forgive you someday!".Dazai looked at her with wide eyes, "You knew it. You overheard when they read the letter, right?" Daira just nodded. "All right," Dazai said, standing up, "let's go visit Mom!"

It was early noon when the two entered the ADA. They had passed an ice cream stand on the way to the office and had stopped to treat themselves to an ice cream. Sitting on a bench, they had eaten their ice cream and talked. Dazai had even managed to make Daira laugh  and he felt at that moment as if the sun had risen.

When they opened the door to the agency, Daira held Dazai's hand and smiled."Good afternoon. Looks like someone is in a good mood," Yosano said to Daira and in English to Dazai: "He's not awake yet, but his condition is a bit better. Have you talked to Daira about it?" "About what?". " About the fact that you are her father and that Chuuya may never wake up again.",
she reminded him. "Firstly, yes. Secondly, he will wake up again. Just believe in him!" said Dazai in a firm voice. Yosano just nodded. When Dazai said that, she was left with nothing but to believe in Chuuya.

"Dad, can we go to Mommy now?" asked Daira. "Of course," Dazai replied, and went with her to the hospital room.

Yosano looked after the two. Then she turned around and said to the others, who had watched everything, "Aren't the two of them cute. I hope Chuuya actually wakes up soon and that he can forgive Dazai." The members of the agency just nodded in agreement. Daira stood at her mother's bedside and held his hand. She told Chuuya what she and Dazai had done together today and at the end she said, "You need to wake up quickly, Mommy. And you have to forgive Daddy." Tears ran down her cheeks and she began to sob loudly. Dazai came closer and hugged her.

He suddenly noticed how Chuuya stirred briefly and when he looked over he noticed that he was crying as well. Silent tears ran down his face. Carefully, Dazai placed one hand on Chuuya's, with the other arm he held Daira. He felt Chuuya relax.

Before he and Daira left, Dazai whispered, "Don't worry. I take care of them. Again, I will not run away from my responsibility!"