Chapter 25 Change of plans

*Three days later*

The plan was that the agency wanted to work with the criminal investigation department and would also help Kouyou. At 7 pm she was supposed to open a side door of the mafia and make sure that nobody kept watch.

Outside, the police, along with some members of the ADA, would wait and storm the building. All these should be as quiet as possible, as they hope to gut the entire nest. When they entered the building, everything went smoothly and they were able to capture most of the mafiosi. The members of the agency, together with Kouyou, were supposed to storm Mori's office and nail it down. However, when they pushed open the door, the room in front of them was empty and deserted.

Mori had apparently learned of her plan in advance and had fled without his people.

"What a coward," Dazai blurted out between his teeth. "What do we do Dazai-san now?" asked Atsushi uncertainly. This had not been part of their plan. "First, we go back to the Agency and report," Kunikida said, adjusting his glasses.

~

He flinched when the others came back and told what had happened. "And what do we do now? We don't have the slightest idea where Mori is now," Chuuya said as his gaze wandered from Dazai to Daira and Kyouka, who were sitting together at a table and painting a picture. You could see his thoughts: 'What if Mori took Daira as his next target and he couldn't protect her?' Carefully, a hand touched his and when he looked up he looked into Dazai's face. "Don't worry, we're all here to protect her and you. Nothing can happen to you!". As he looked around, he looked into the determined faces of the ADA members. "Daira is dear to all of us and no one will be able to touche even her hair.  As for you, if something happens to you, what should we eat?", Ranpo said half seriously, half jokingly, but it was enough to lighten the mood of everyone in the room.

"Besides, I'll take care of you," Dazai added, his voice being serious again. He had actually managed to take away Chuuya's tension and he joked: "Then I'll bake a huge apple strudel with custard when you catch Mori." Everyone cheered and Daira and Kyouka looked over at them in confusion. The two had not noticed anything of the conversations of the adults and wondered what so great had happened that even Kunikida had a smile on his face. 

Daira just shook her head and turned back to her piece of paper.

Meanwhile, the others began to come up with a new plan.