Reign of the Small King

Hm, school is much harder than I thought it would be this semester... This is really over due. Especially for how short it is. Though I'm working on the next chapter of this fic, which is an original, as well as Red Herring and Ups and Downs. Updates are slow, but what's new? Well, I hope ya'll like it!

ΨΨΨ

ARE YOU A CAT PERSON OR A dog person? Personally I'm a dog person. I mean you can't go wrong with a cute little puppy. MJ is more of a cat person, which makes sense since she's also pretty lazy and would like to lay around a lot. So she can relate to cats on a spiritual level, I suppose. Though if it wasn't obvious, we're now at that episode where we met that little shit. Let's just get it over with shall we.

After another day of school, Akari and Saiki were taking their daily walk back home. On their way they ran into a couple of girls fawning over an adorable cat on the side of the road. Really it was quite the cute kitty, I wish to give it a nice scratch under the chin.

"I'm often asked if I'm a dog person or a cat person." Saiki started to say, "My answer is, "who cares?" Even the cutest of gods and cats end up looking like this and this." Basically just two piles of bones. "Let me ask you this. Do you prefer the bones on the left or the right? The answer is, "It doesn't matter," isn't it?" They continued to watch the two girl scratch the cat under its chin and giggle. Akari blinked at how childish they sounded talking to it, since she doesn't get all baby-talk when seeing a cute animal. "Some people base their choices on the preconceptions they hold such as "dogs seem smart," or "cats are spoiled." But that's just a wrong assumption people make."

Apparently the cat actually had quite a deep voice as was thinking, 'Don't touch me, you female hominoid.' How lovely. Then again, I also wouldn't wanna just be pet nonstop. I'm surprised it hasn't just bitten them yet.

"That's what they're thinking." Saiki said as he and Akari turned to continue their walk home. "Since I can hear the voices of animals with my telepathic powers, I have no preconceptions. Summer or Winter? Winter. Mushrooms or bamboo shoots? Mushrooms. But a question regarding dogs and cats is too vague for me to answer. It's like asking me if I prefer Mr. Sato or Mr. Suzuki.",

'Personally, I like cats more.' Akari mentally commented. 'Only because dogs tend to be more energetic.' Yeah, she wouldn't be able to keep up with an enthusiastic dog if all she wants to do is nap most of the time. That would just be annoying. Though it's not like Akari has any real experience with pets of any kind, since her family has never had any. She isn't exactly sure why, since her father definitely seems like a dog person and her mother seems like a cat person. Plus Rikuto and her have never asked for a pet, so there's no reason that they would have one.

Just as they were walking down the last stretch of road towards their house, Saiki spotted something out of the corner of his eye. It was an orange cat with a red bandana around its neck, and he was stuck between two buildings. How he got there, no ones really sure. Though who wouldn't help this poor, defenseless, little ball of fluff in such a situation?

Akari eyed him for a moment, a bit sympathetic with it. After all, it was a cute little thing in distress, anyone feel like helping it to safety, right? Right? Saiki just stared at it blankly, not really being swayed by the fact that it was in trouble. Akari would have been willing to help had it not been for Saiki gently pulling her along, him wanting to just forget about the cat so they could get home sooner.

Now the cat certainly wasn't happy with that as it started to whine, 'Wait! Come back, human! Stop!'

Saiki grunted, "Good grief."