*Ch. 2: A New Friend

Kari's POV

Well, this is great. I have no idea where I am, and I'm getting hungry.

This day couldn't get any better.

My stomach rumbled, and I sighed, trying once again to stand up. If I could get up, I could hunt for something, which I've done before. And if I hunt and catch something, then I could eat, and I wouldn't have to deal with the dinosaur that lives in my belly.

Yes, I have a dinosaur in my belly. Deal with it.

Thankfully I could now stand, and when I did I noticed a small, clear stream nearby. Which reminded me of something I've always wondered:

Why do people say water is blue? I know it's like the reflection of the sky or whatever, but this stream in front of me is definitely clear. Not blue. I can see the rocks along the bottom, and also my black-haired reflection.

...Wait. Black hair? That's not right.

When I lived with my stepdad, I had plain brown hair, with the occasional blond highlight. But now when I look at my reflection, my hair is obviously black. And not some dark brown kind of black. No, it's a glossy, raven-colored black.

And my eyes! They're also different! Wait, I like these new ones much better than my old ones.

My old eyes were a brown-green color, what some people would call hazel. But now they were a beautiful ice-blue color. This is so much better!

Seeing as my hair and eyes had changed, I could guess that the rest of my body was different. So I took a look down my figure to see if that was true.

Thankfully, it wasn't that bad. I was still tall and tan-ish, with faint muscles visible from all the training I'd done back home. My chest was pretty tiny, which I think is a good thing. Honestly, I don't see the appeal of having a large chest. It would just get in the way of doing stuff, and I'd heard it was really heavy. Also, I was still thin, but not horribly, malnourished thin. Just thin.

I grinned at my reflection, then noticed that my canines were slightly pointed. Cool! I have fangs! Sort of...

My clothes had also changed. Before, I had been wearing dark jeans and a grey top, with plain sneakers. Now, however, I wasn't.

I was wearing baggy black pants, a silver half-sleeve shirt with a black zipped vest/jacket over it, these weird black sandals, and a silver band of metal around my neck with a dragon inscribed on it. Like a collar, almost. There was also a silver cloak back on the tree where I'd been sitting.

I wonder why I look so different. Is it because of the weird tree? Had it teleported me  somewhere else in the world? But then how did I change my looks? Could it be that I'm in a different dimension? But that's not possible!

I was snapped from my thoughts when I felt something wiggle in one of the pockets of my pants. I hadn't noticed the bulge that was in that pocket until it moved. So there's something in my pocket, eh....

Being curious, I reached into the pocket to pull out whatever was making the bulge. Holding it in my hand, I saw that it was some kind of oval-orb-like thing. It was colored black, with some thin gold lines swirling around the sphere.

And it was moving.

Great. It's a bomb.

As I held it in my hands, a crack appeared on the glossy surface. A spasm followed soon after, and then another crack. Soon the face of the orb was riddled with a web of lines, breaking up the black and gold expanse.

Then the orb shattered.

The black and gold shards spread in all directions, and then dispersed, and in their place was a small, cat-like, winged shape. It was scaled, and the surface of it's skin was cool. A reptile of some kind... with wings... A dragon?!

So it wasn't a bomb. That's good.

Wait. It's a dragon. A DRAGON! Awesome!

Further proving my theory that I'm in another dimension. As far as I'm aware, dragons don't exist in my world.

The dragonet let out a yawn, arching it's back like a cat. It was covered in black scales, with a few swirly gold designs on it's sides. It was about the size of a football, with glistening black wings folded against it's spine, and golden claws glinting at the ends of it's paws. There was black fuzz around it's spine and belly, and two antler-like horns on it's head. 

Then it cheeped, opening it's blue eyes. Eyes that shone with an icy light exactly like my new eyes.

I just kinda stood there, staring at the creature sitting in my palms. Still getting used to the fact that I'm holding an apparently-mythical creature in my hands. Also getting used to the fact that it was really small, and light.

"Okay, I'm holding a dragon in my hands. This is completely normal, and I'm not internally freaking out." I mumbled, not moving with the fear that it would fly away.

~Actually, you are totally freaking out inside. I can tell, it's painfully obvious~ I heard a male's light baritone  voice say in my head. I let out a surprised squeak, jumping a bit in surprise.

"W-Who said that?" I stuttered, looking around frantically.

~I did. Obviously~ the voice said again. It seemed amused, like it knew something I didn't.

I frowned. "Well, I don't know who you are, so if you could tell me, that would be great." I snapped, feeling annoyed with the smugness in the voice's tone.

~Look down in your hands~ the voice said. I obediently glanced down, and the only thing in my hands was the dragon. Wait a minute...

"You can talk to me?" I questioned the dragon, who nodded it's head.

~Of course. Haven't you ever seen a talking dragon before?~ the dragon asked.

I deadpanned. "No, I can't say that I have. I've never seen a dragon before, actually." I said flatly.

The dragon's eyes widened in almost comical surprise. ~How is that possible?~ it cried. ~Dragons are awesome!~

I grinned. "Yes, but dragons don't exist in the world I'm used to."

~... You where in a weird place~

"Yeah, that's very true." I nodded my head. "Anyways, who are you and how can you speak with me?"

~Well, it's not that surprising that you wouldn't know, considering you're not from here. I can speak with you because you're my bonded partner, and I don't have a name yet. You get the honor of naming me. Just not yet, please~ The dragon said.

"Please elaborate upon this concept of 'partners'." I asked, not knowing how the term applied here. And the dragon wasn't exactly explaining things.

~Nah, I'm too tired now. I'm only like, a minute old, after all. Let me sleep, and I'll answer your questions when I wake up~ It said. Then the dragon, who I assumed was male, crawled out of my hands, up my arm (not without scratching me a few times), and finally settled around my neck. The dragon wrapped his tail around my neck for support, and promptly started snoring.

"... Sure, lets go with that." I mumbled. "Thanks for telling me where we are." I then walked over to the silver tree and grabbed the cloak. I put it on, wrapping it around the dragon's sleeping form. The silver material was warm, and kept out the breeze that was whispering through the clearing.

"Might as well try and find some people or whatever." I said as I walked away from the steam. "But with my luck, the only people here will be weird pedophiles or crazy, obsessed people. That would seem about right with my luck."