*Ch. 22: Why

Daken's POV

I was sprinting along the streets of Sutomura, convinced that Kari was right behind me. From what I've seen, she's the kind of person who doesn't like to lose. Meaning that she's not far behind.

It was nice how we got along now. I thought we'd be awkward and stuff, but conversing normally was surprisingly easy. Kari was a very interesting person, much like myself if I do say. Welcoming and easy to talk to, but also with a sense of mystery (I mean, she's got a dragon!).

Probably why I was so attracted to her.

And why I was so embarrassed to a), be caught sleeping on her, and b), to have spit my drink on her.

But I couldn't help it! She said that she had fought Orochimaru, the snake sannin, and had survived! Not many people could claim to have done this. Which instantly made her even more interesting. And made me curious about who she really was, and what her clan name was.

As I was thinking, I didn't realize I had been slowing down, until I was actually stopped. But Kari hadn't caught up to me. Which was worrying.

"Hey... Kari... where are you?" I called out to the empty street, trying to see if she was nearby. There was no answer, so I tried again. "Don't try to hide! Kari! This isn't funny!"

Nothing.

Now I began to get worried. Kari was my friend (-ish), so if she was missing, why wouldn't I be worried? And plus. This town is crawling with Spider Vanguard goons. She said that the leader had a problem with her, and if you add those together, it's not pleasant.

I left the empty street and headed towards a busier one, looking for Kari. Best case scenario is that she just got lost, and is wandering somewhere in the town. I'd... rather not like to think of a worst-case scenario.

Third Person POV

Moyano strode through the halls of his mansion, heading down to the dungeons. He'd just been informed that Hayabusa had managed to snag the girl Kari, the one who stole the mythical bracelet of Baria from him.

Reaching the lowest level of the mansion, the large man opened an iron door, the only one in the area. It swung open with a creak, showing only darkness within. Deep, seemingly-infinite darkness without a hint of light.

Despite that, Moyano continued on in, closing the door softly behind him. Now he was alone, and he lit a nearby torch with a simple fire jutsu. The firelight brightened the area, revealing his surroundings.

Moyano was standing in a relatively plain room that had bare stone covering most surfaces. A metal operating table was stored off to the side, which had leather straps adorning it's surface. One wall was decorated with various instruments of torture, including screws, spikes, and a few wrenches. And the wall opposite the door had one thing on it. Well, not a thing. More like a person.

Kari.

Kari's POV

It was dark. Dark and cold. I couldn't feel anything, but I knew there was something. I was somewhere.

Well, obviously I was somewhere. I don't think it's possible to be nowhere. But I have honestly no idea where the heck I am, besides it being somewhere and dark.

Time to try some other senses, since my eyes seem to have decided not to work. So I tried to move my fingers next. They didn't do anything. I attempted to sniff the air, but nothing registered. It's like my brain isn't processing any information. Joy. And I'm not even gonna try hearing. If the others didn't work, why should it?

I mentally shrugged, and descended back down into the blackness. I mean, I might as well. I have nowhere else to go.

Third Person POV

A small figure clambered to it's feet, then shook out it's lithe body. It didn't know where it was, only that it was dark and smelled like blood. Obviously not a good place.

The creature began moving, following it's nose and ears towards what it believed to be a crowded area of some kind. Certainly sounded like it. As the creature moved forward it began to get lighter, soon revealing the creature to be a small black-and-gold dragon.

Telem wandered the empty halls of some large house, following his nose to a what he'd correctly identified as a crowded area. But it wasn't in the house. Instead, it was outside. The market.

Now free, Telem spread his wings and quickly flapped off. But a wave of darkness over his blue eyes stalled his wings, and the dragon began to rapidly plummet. It soon cleared though, and Telem pulled up right before he crashed into a building.

That wave of darkness had confirmed his fears, however. Something was going on with his partner, and Telem could only wonder why it was affecting Kari so much more than it was him. But he knew that if he tried to rescue his partner, he wouldn't get very far.

Telem needed some backup and he needed it soon, before Kari's pain overwhelmed him. And he knew exactly who to go and get.

After all, dragons can't do everything, can they?

======

The large man looked at the girl hanging from the wall in triumph. He may have only met her twice, but he truly hated her. This girl was the reason she had died. If that damned girl hadn't stolen the bracelet of Baria, then she would still be alive.

But no. The bracelet was stolen, she was dead, and Moyano was left to pick up the pieces of his life.

And the girl hadn't even had a reason for stealing the item. Moyano had been living a (relatively) peaceful life, protecting the bracelet, when boom. It was gone.

The bracelet was the only thing that could protect her when those men came for her, but now it was gone. Without it, she was easily killed. Leaving Moyano alone to mourn her passing.

All of this, all the things Spider Vanguard have done, all done in her name. Spider Vanguard had been a gang, yes. But a weak gang, one with no dreams of glory or murder. But that all changed when that infuriating girl had indirectly killed her. After that, Moyano had done anything to rid himself of that accursed sadness that had plagued him ever since she died. 

Literally anything. Kill, murder, destroy, pillage. All to both distract him from his emotions, and also to find a way to bring her back.

And that was why he's here. The Orb of Tenshi. A mystical item said to be able to restore life. Legend said it was located in one of the rivers around this village, guarded by a water spirit. So Moyano had taken steps to find it, destroying the spirit named Enki. Now he had all his men scanning the riverbeds, trying to find the orb. No such luck yet, but it will come. That, Moyano was sure of.

The only reason Kari was here so he could punish her for starting this whole mess. For stealing the bracelet. Revenge, you could say. Nothing more, nothing less.

Besides, it's her fault that he's even in this damn village.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you tell that I really don't want to get to Konoha? I just find that idea so overused. But if you enjoy those, don't let this stop you. I enjoy them as well. It's just getting a little tiring, that's all.

Does anyone have questions, concerns, grievances? Anything? I want to improve my writing, and not stomp all over canon, so if you think I'm doing that, tell me and I'll try to fix it.

On a lighter note, this chapter is dedicated to darktiger23 for voting on all the chapters! Thank you!

Later!