*Ch. 10: Oh Look. Family. Who Knew?

Kari's POV

I lifted my head to look at the newcomer. Raza, who was supporting me, had grown as stiff and straight as a board, showing he was either scared or apprehensive. I could really care less. I'm rather tired.

The man who'd appeared had pale white skin, and strange purple marks around his golden eyes. His hair was long and black, and he wore a tan tunic-thing with a large purple rope belt. And upon closer inspection, I could see that he had slitted pupils- like a snake.

"Why are you here?" Raza growled angrily, staring with malice at the newcomer. "Don't you already have one of the Kitsune heirs? Why would you want another?"

"What do you know of the Kitsune house?" The other person asked lowly. He didn't look very much like the first man. He looked around my age, and had glossy, raven-black hair and ice blue eyes. There was a sword sheathed on his back, and a pouch on his hip that probably had some weapons in it.

Eyes exactly like my own...

"I know more then you ever will, boy!" Raza exclaimed hotly, turning his attention to the blue-eyed man.

"Now, now." Came a slithery voice I instinctively knew came from the snake man. "Saden-kun, is that any way to treat a person we need something from? I thought I taught you better then that."

"Yes, Orochimaru-sama." The boy replied sullenly, lowering his head in respect. I guess snake dude's name is Orochimaru-sama. Fitting, considering somewhere I'd heard that Orochi was the name of this evil eight-headed snake monster.

"Tell me what you came for, you dirty snake!" Raza yelled angrily, still supporting my tired body. I should really consider finding some inner power, or whatever main characters tend to do at this point, but I don't feel like it. I'm tired, remember.

"What I came for?" The snake dude hissed, licking his lips with his abnormally large tongue. Gross. "Why, I'm here for the other half of the set, of course!" Now he's grinning creepily. He looks like a pedophile. I shuddered, catching sight of the fang-like teeth that appeared when he opened his mouth.

"Never! Kari will not be another servant of yours to play around with as you please!" Raza growled. And now I was seriously confused. They're speaking of me when I'm right here, and talking about things I don't understand.

So I decided to make the three men aware of my confused state.

"You know, I have no idea what you people are talking about, right? Someone care to explain for me?" I said, disregarding the threatening atmosphere I could sense. I also let go of Raza's shoulder, determined not to seem weak in front of these strange people.

"Raza, Raza, Raza." Orochimaru admonished, shaking his head. "How could you not explain to dear Kari-chan her own heritage?"

I frowned when he said that, becoming even more confused. "But Raza did explain my history, and what happened with the Sasaki clan." I told the snake. "And why are you calling me Kari-chan? What does that mean?"

All three people stared at me, each with varying degrees of bemusement on their faces. The boy, Saden-kun was pretty emotionless, but I could detect the surprise and question in his eyes. Orochimaru-sama was chuckling in a creepy way, and Raza was shaking his head in sadness.

"What?" I grumbled, pouting. "Not my fault that I just got here! This is a whole new culture for me. Allow me some time to learn stuff!"

"Oh Kari..." Raza sighed, then began to explain, ignoring the fact that there were two people who may be enemies standing in front of us. "-Chan is an honorific, much like you used Mr and Mrs in your world. It's a cute way to refer to a girl, normally." I glared at Orochimaru-sama when Raza said this. I am not cute! "Other examples are -kun, which is what people use to refer to boys, and -sama, which implies a degree of great respect. But -san is the default, and basically means Mr or Mrs."