*Ch. 4: Telem

Kari's POV

Raza ended that little conversation, and continued telling me about this world, and the Sasaki clan in particular.

"Now, the Sasaki clan. A great clan, who lived in a village in the land between Konohagakure and Sunagakure, two of the shinobi world's major hidden villages. They lived in the Land of Rivers, right along the coast of the ocean. Perfect for the storms their village was named for. Arashigakure, village of the Sasaki clan.

The Sasaki's were unique, having two distinct Kekkei Genkai- Spirit Release and Koniac. Sasaki's were also born with an animal made just for them, their partner."

I looked at the dragon at this point. So that's what he meant when he said he was my partner. Probably why he could speak into my mind, and could read my emotions to a point.

"More on the Kekkei Genkai-" Raza continued. "Spirit Release is a powerful technique in which the user gives up all of their normal chakra, and in exchange, receives an equal supply of Spirit chakra. This is both a blessing and a curse.

Once you choose to accept Spirit chakra, it is the only chakra you will ever be able to use. That person can never use normal chakra again. But Spirit chakra can do all of the same things as normal chakra, such as being molded for attacks or used to enhance your natural capabilities. The only difference is that you can't use elemental attacks, like Fire Style or Water Style. Only Spirit Style attacks.

This doesn't sound like such a bad thing, does it? But what if you're facing an opposing shinobi who uses Fire Style? Your Spirit Style will only do a certain amount of damage. As opposed to someone using Water Style, whose attacks will do much more damage. But Spirit Style doesn't fit into an elemental category, so it has no weakness or resistance to the other elements. Are you still with me?" Raza asked.

"Yeah, I think so." I replied hesitantly. "Chakra has elemental capabilities, and each element is weak and strong against another, right? Like Pokemon?" I questioned, trying to make the connection. "And Spirit Style has no element, so it's not weak or strong against the other elements?"

Raza nodded. "That is correct."

I grinned. "Well, that's pretty cool!" I exclaimed. "What about the other Kekkei Genkai thing, the Koni-something?"

"Ah yes. The Koniac. Simply put, it's the ability to shape-shift, or change from human form to an animal form. Each person receives one animal form, and it's uniquely theirs." Raza said. "People can still use chakra in this form, but they cannot speak, and the ability takes up a good bit of the user's chakra. Koniac is also much more common than Spirit Release, which only a few people of a certain descent inherit."

"How does a person inherit a Kekkei Genkai?" I asked, still curious.

"It's genetic." Was all Raza said. "Now shut up and listen."

"Fine, fine." I rolled my eyes, but got quiet again.

"On to the story of the Sasaki themselves. They're a rather reserved clan, not venturing out of their village unless they have missions, for it's a clan of shinobi. But fifteen years ago was one of the bloodiest events in the clan's history. The youngest brother of the current clan head decided that he wanted the chief position. So he staged an uprising of sorts.

Now, your father, your true father, was one of the higher-ranking nobles of the Dragon house -don't ask, I'll explain later. When he got word of the coup, he immediately fled the village, fearing for the life of his wife, who had just given birth to twins- A boy and a girl.

Your father fled deep into the woods surrounding the village, and eventually stopped at the base of a great silver tree at the heart of the forest. This was a tree guarded by the Sasaki clan, and it had the ability to grant any wish, if you pay the right price. Upon this tree, he wished to send his wife to a place where she'd be safe.