*Ch. 25: People Are Stupid And Close-Minded

Daken's POV

At this stage in time, it would be correct to assume that Kari is aware of my last name. I... was hoping she wouldn't get it, because people tend to abandon me or die when they find out. But there's nothing I can do now.

It is impressive that she figured it out, however. Aoi was probably a dead giveaway, considering the Hogosha's are the only people in possession of the summoning contract with that animal. Though I do hope she doesn't learn I was banished from the clan...

See, the Hogosha's are a clan that don't really have a village. They're more like bounty hunters, and are loyal to whoever pays them. As a whole, the clan specializes in summonings, which is why I can summon two creatures and not be as tired. Our chakra had adapted to be larger that most shinobis, allowing us to summon more than normal people.

Hogosha's also have a kind of special contract with the canine summoning animals. Instead of writing their name on a physical contract, at the age of thirteen all children try the jutsu for the first time, and the summonings decide which species would be most appropriate for the person.

The summonings have varying degrees of rarity and strength, and it's said that the stronger the summoning, the stronger the Hogosha. But there's one very important thing to consider, and it's more of a superstition than a rule. A superstition gone to far, but still just that.

~Flashback~

"The selection ceremony is coming soon, isn't it?" a younger Daken commented to a friend as they were walking down one of the roads in the Hogosha's village.

His friend chuckled. "Yeah, it is! I'm really excited. What kind of canine do you think you'll get?"

Daken shrugged, putting his hands behind his head nonchalantly. "Well, I don't think I'm strong enough to summon a wolf, let alone a Wolf Lord. Maybe a hyena. And if nothing else, I'd like at least a fox."

"Yeah right!" his friend jeered. "You'd be lucky to summon a greater dog! I'm getting a wolf, though."

Daken snorted, looking at the boy with a mocking look in his eyes. "You? What makes you think you can summon a wolf?"

The boy growled. "My dad summoned a wolf! So I will too!"

"In your dreams," Daken rolled his eyes, then walked off, leaving behind the fuming boy. "Like a ninja of your caliber can summon a wolf. You'd be the one lucky enough to get a greater dog," Daken muttered under his breath as he walked away. It struck a cord in him, considering that both the blonde's parents were only able to summon lesser dogs, the lowest rank of summonings.

As he walked, Daken fantasized about his ceremony. He'd drink the elixir that all participants were given to show their eligibility, perform the jutsu, and poof! Before him would stand one of the Wolf Lords! Maybe Tsubasa or Rai, or even Asura!

That would make everyone who'd never believed in him change their mind! They'd see that this boy was a force to be reckoned with!

======

The morning of the ceremony, and all five candidates stood in the center of the village, on a raised dais surrounded by other clan members watching to see the action. The children, all age thirteen, were in a single-file line, with Daken at the back.

After a short introductory speech, one of the clan elders brought out the elixir used. It was given as a gift by the five Wolf Lords when the contract between the Hogosha and the canines was first negotiated, and was refilled every year by the one person in the village who could summon one of the Wolf Lords.