Ch. 39: The Aftermath

Kari's POV

Saden and I were standing on the destroyed roof of the Hokage's building. The whole surface was torn up, the remains of trees everywhere, rocks, mud, and water covering everything.

But the crowning jewel was the dead body of the Third Hokage, Sarutobi Hiruzen.

I had long since finished my howling, and both my brother and I returned to our human forms. The barrier had yet to be taken down, because Orochimaru was recovering slightly in the corner of the barrier, near one of the people that were holding up the purple shield.

"Che. That's enough." Orochimaru's hissing broke the silence that had descended upon the roof. "Let's go." he ordered.

The four people that were sustaining the barrier heard him, and they first dropped their own black shields. Then they stepped away, leaving the purple barrier to slowly fall. Two of the people leapt over to Orochimaru, and slung his now-useless arms over their shoulders.

Before the ANBU could enter, Orochimaru and his minions fled. The ANBU leader sent one person after them, but he kept the rest of his four-man squad here.

Saden and I exchanged glances, then stepped back from the body. The ANBU immediately swarmed around the limp figure, checking various things. But it all came to one conclusion.

The Hokage was dead.

Which we kinda already knew, but sure. Let the nice people figure it out themselves.

The smallest ANBU came over to me and removed his mask. Revealing a face I slightly recognized. He had yellow-brown hair in a buzz cut, and pale white skin. "Are you Kari Griffen?" he asked me.

I nodded. "Yes, but I haven't gone by that name in years."

"Ah." he nodded. "Well, I was one of the people on Kakashi's squad when he picked you up three years ago. Reidan Momoyami, at your service." Reidan said with an exaggerated bow. This guy didn't really seem like ANBU material, but looks can be deceiving.

"Okay, so what can I do for you?"

Reidan immediately turned serious. "I know you managed to enter the barrier at the start of the fight, but did you see what happened? How the Hokage died?"

I lowered my head. "Yeah. He was killed by both Orochimaru and the jutsu he was performing. The, ah, Reaper Death Seal?"

Reidan's eyes grew saddened. "That jutsu. He would. The Hokage loved this village, and everyone in it. If he knew he wouldn't have survived the battle, he would have tried his best to bring that snake down with him."

"Yeah..."

"What is going on here?" A new man's voice joined the mix.

This man appeared to be a frail, elderly man. He wore a bandage covering his right eye and the side of his face. There was a cane helping him walk, and the robe he wore concealed his right arm.

"Lord Danzo! I didn't expect to see you here!" The ANBU leader said, dropping to one knee. The rest of his squad followed suit, with Reidan being the last, as he went down almost reluctantly.

"Yes, yes." he muttered, shaking his head disdainfully. "So the old fart is dead. And without naming a successor. That's just like him..."

I stepped forward. "Who the hell are you?"

The man glanced over at me with his one visible eye. "I could ask you the same thing, girl. What are you doing here?"

Saden appeared next to me, hovering almost protectively. "We don't have to tell you anything." he spat, blue eyes blazing.

"Well-"

Reidan stepped in to diffuse the tension that was building. "Lord Danzo, this is Kari Griffen. She was brought into the village three years ago by the 6th Squad."

"Is that so..." Danzo mused. "And why are they here now?" This question was directed to Reidan and the ANBU leader, as Danzo managed to completely ignore me. It made me growl slightly, but Saden put his hand on my arm to prevent me from doing anything rash.

"Well, the boy was inside the barrier when it was put up, and Kari managed to blast her way inside." The ANBU replied. Danzo put up a surprised facade.

"Really? This, teenage girl, managed to enter a barrier none of the best ANBU could break? How is that possible?" he exclaimed. "And the boy was just coincidentally inside the barrier when it was put up?"

"I take offense at that!" I exclaimed, striding forward. "I am more powerful then you think, and I am by no means a teenage girl!" Saden looked like he wanted to stop me, but then shrugged and settled back to watch the show. Danzo's comment didn't bother him the least.

"Did you manage to get through the barrier around the Hokage tower when none of the ANBU could?" Danzo then turned to ask me, a suspicious-looking gleam in his one eye.

I was about to nod, but saw Saden shake his head out of the corner of my eye. I frowned, but didn't respond to the question. Danzo repeated it, but I didn't respond again.

"Okay. If you will not tell me, then who is the man beside you?" Danzo asked, pointing at Saden. I stiffened, knowing that Saden's identity couldn't be revealed. He was a former accomplice of Orochimaru's, and if he stayed, he would be interrogated and possibly killed.

"That is Saden Sasaki, the fox prince who serves Orochimaru." The ANBU leader said, taking an interest in the conversation now. "I recognize him from the Bingo Book. He's an S-Rank criminal to be killed on sight by any of the Hidden Villages."

"Is that so..." Danzo said with a creepy leer. "Get him!"

The ANBU all leapt for Saden, but I darted in front of him at the last second. All stopped, but continued to hold their weapons.

"Kari, step aside." That was Reidan, who was holding his hands in a taijutsu position. "He's a wanted criminal, and needs to be interrogated."

I shook my head. "No. Well, yes, he is, but he's also my brother. And I don't abandon family."

"Kari, if you don't move, then we'll be forced to arrest you with him." Reidan warned.

I shrugged, standing my ground. "Sorry, Reidan. He's my brother. And you may be ANBU, but you can't take both of us on. We are Sasakis, after all."

"So you two are the lost foxes of Arashigakure." Danzo said. "That would explain how you have so much power."

Saden and I exchanged a look.

"But you were both there when the Hokage died. Kari, back away now. Your... brother will be blamed for the Third's death, and if you continue to defend him, so will you." Danzo threatened.

I gritted my teeth, but didn't move.

"So be it." Danzo said nonchalantly. "From this moment on, I, Danzo Shimura, elder of Konohagakure, do banish Kari and Saden Sasaki from the Land of Fire. You have one day to leave this land before the ANBU will be sent after you."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND THAT IS THE END OF THE SILVER WOLF!!!!!!

There will be an epilogue, and a final author's note, and a sequel!!

YAY! I've never actually finished a book before (Yes I know it's not quite over yet, but that was the last real chapter), so this is a major accomplishment!

The final dedication is going to yinying04 for voting and commenting! Thaaaaaaank you!!!

Later!